Quantcast

Wooden Airplane Books

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jon Ferguson

If you could ask for just one wooden airplane book for Christmas what would it be? Fiction and Non-Fiction suggestions welcome, Do it Yourself would be most highly prized.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
One of my favorite books on wood aircraft is "The Wooden Wonder: A Short History of the Wooden Aeroplane," by James G. Robins. It's a small book, but it has a lot of good historical tidbits, a sprinkling of technical info, and a ton of great illustrations. An obscure book about an obscure topic. Right up my alley! :gig:
Wooden Wonder by James G. Robins - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace

FWIW, the EAA book Topaz mentions, "Wood Aircraft Building Techniques," is definitely a good how-to. It is a collection of articles that ran in the early EAA magazines. Good, practical stuff.

bobm4360

"Werkstattpraxis fur den Bau von Gleit- und Segelflugen", by Hans Jacobs. It's about building sailplanes, but is used as a reference for all types of wooden aircraft in Europe. The most recent editions are spendy, but the 1935 edition is online, and Vintage Sailplane Association says they will be bringing out an English translation next year.
Regards,
Bob

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have this one, too, all pen-and-ink drawings and watercolors, no photos, great inspiration. I love that it's got a Pou-du-Ciel on the cover!

HM18.JPG

One of my favorite books on wood aircraft is "The Wooden Wonder: A Short History of the Wooden Aeroplane," by James G. Robins. It's a small book, but it has a lot of good historical tidbits, a sprinkling of technical info, and a ton of great illustrations. An obscure book about an obscure topic. Right up my alley! :gig:
Wooden Wonder by James G. Robins - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace

FWIW, the EAA book Topaz mentions, "Wood Aircraft Building Techniques," is definitely a good how-to. It is a collection of articles that ran in the early EAA magazines. Good, practical stuff.

ultralajt

Some years ago (just couple days before Christmass) I purchased plans and drawings for Czech ultralight sailplane TST-Alpin. It is wooden construction except curved canopy shell which is made from glass laminate. Studying this sailplane plans I learn a lot..just like reading a book about wooden gliders manufacturing. :)

Some old books about sailplanes and soaring here:

Scale Soaring UK - Book Case1

Scale Soaring UK - Book Case2

Scale Soaring UK - Book Case 3

Mitja

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Like several people has said, the EAA books on woodworking. Dan

Aircar

Banned
There is a book by an Italian designer of gliders and I think Stella Frati also wrote a book that included some shop practice on wooden gliders and it might have been linked by someone on HBA (he was a wood man basically -his SF 260 was re engineered in metal by Luigi Pellarini but the Frati is still available for plans build in wood)

Thanks Bobm for the info about Hans Jacobs book -- my family owned a homebuilt Eon Olympia for many years and it was built like a grand piano and was delightful on a nice day (praised for it's outstanding handling at the time but not comparable to today's ships ) Hans Jacobs was 'apprenticed' to Alexander Lippisch as I gather it and learned his structural design from him.