Quantcast

Wooden Aircraft Plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Isaac

Hi.
I am 14 years old and am planning to start an aircraft project with my grandfather (preferably out of wood).
I was wondering if anyone new of any aircraft plans (preferably free or cheap plans). The aircraft must be a high wing with 2 seats and 2 doors.
Thanks.

Doug2233

G'day Isaac,

Great to read your post and an excellent idea to build an aeroplane with your grandfather. May I encourage you to pursue this with all your energy. It will be a long road but many have suceeded and so will you.

It terms of candidate types I am not sure there are so many to choose from that fits your bill but Im sure other people will chime in. I built an all metal aircraft a Vans RV-6 but I do not know too much about wooden homebuilts.

A high wing option might be the Milholland 'Double Eagle' but the fuselage is welded steel tube and a wooden wing. Google that for starters until you get some better suggestions.

BTW I am in Sydney.

Isaac

Thanks for the reply. The reason I would like a wood aircraft is wood is easier to work with (for me anyway) and neither of us have much metal work experience.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Welcome, Isaac. There are quite a few free plans out there, but none for high-wing two-seaters come to mind. Even a very expensive set of plans -- some of the European designs run over USD$500 for a set -- is a tiny fraction of the cost of building your own airplane. And when you buy plans you are also paying for the time required to answer the inevitable questions that come up.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to sit down with your grandfather and come up with a timeline and budget for your project. For example, if you can budget AUS$200 per month for five years, that would give you a budget of AUS$12,000 which would be enough for a basic, plans-built wooden single-seater like a TEAM Hi-Max (plans are free and the complete materials kit is only USD$7,000 not including the shipping to Australia).

For AUS$300 per month you might be able to move up to a budget, plans-built two-seater like a Pietenpol Air Camper (open-cockpit parasol, so no doors at all, wear your goggles and leather helmet) or one of the Fisher Flying Products designs like the Super Koala or Horizon 1 (plans only $400 or available as kits for USD$11,000-14,000 depending on options). If looking for something very light (two-stroke or very light four-stroke power) there is the Bagalini Colombo, a side-by-side parasol-wing design that could easily be enclosed. There are also a number of other plans-built, high-wing designs that might work (Poper Junior Ace, Christavia Mk1) but they are welded-steel tube fuselage and tail designs with wooden wings.

Lastly, while this group and others can be great resources, you should be talking to your local chapter of the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia as they will be able to tell you what best suits Australian regulations and what's available and affordable down under.
Cheers,

Matthew

Isaac

At the moment we are considering a Fisher Dakota Hawk or a Super Koala. The plans are a bit expensive but they look like a great aircraft. We both prefer an enclosed cockpit because the prior use for the aircraft would be cross country flights and just flying because we love it.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Falconar also offers plans for the Cub Major and Majorette, basically the original Luton Major and a simplified version for amateur construction. Looks interesting if you wanted to try something different.

CubMajor2.jpg CubMajor1.jpg CubMajorDash.jpg

P

PeterJ

http://www.eel.de/english/home_en.htm

I would suggest ULF-1 (sailplane) or ULF-2 (motorglider). ULF-1 construction cost up to 3000 EUR. ULF-2 construction cost up to 10.000 EUR. Affordable plans (175 EUR for sailplane and 350 for motorglider), easy build, reliable construction, all wood design, safe and easy to fly, English construction manuals, over 300 builds worldwide. I consider them the best way for systematic and easy transition to a pro aeroplane builder. Once you build one of those you can build anything.

P

PeterJ

Umm, Peter, the OP is looking for a high-wing, two-seat aircraft.
Mine was merely a suggestion and invitation to look for all available options on the market before you pick one. Also I was suggesting something easy to build and handle for 14 years old ( no disrespect intended for grandpa ). :)

CarlosJVR7

hi everyone my name is carlos i am new on this blog i would like to start a KR-2 project by myself i choosed this aircraft because all the structure is in wood my question is where can i find o buy the plans and manual to built this aircraft? or if someone of you can pass me the plans!!!
thank you

dcstrng

i would like to start a KR-2 project by myself...
Carlos; dial up KRnet Internet List

I get their periodic update (am not building a KR, but have had the plans for years and always like them) and I think there has been a minor upheaval in plans availability – but there is a sign-up for their forum and they’d be the best to answer your question on plans, manual and the like.

Jon Ferguson

TEAM Minimax is releasing a brand new side by side, two seat, high wing design. They are calling it the Epic and I am the very first customer. The plans are not free for this one though they have free plans available for most of their single seat designs. Like other minimax's the Epic is built from wood.

dcstrng

Good looking -- That nose-dragger fastback looks marginally reminiscent of one of my favorite little birds – the Piper Colt (don’t ask – longtime affairs of the heart are not easily defined… :ponder:)

Which are you building?

CarlosJVR7

thanks everybody i have joined to krnet already and i am asking for help to get the KR-2 plans, but if someone of you knows how to buy or get the KR-2 plans i would thank you so much

Latest posts