Wooden Aircraft Building Resources?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

messydeer

Hey, guys!

I am looking at getting plans and building an Osprey 2. It's mainly wood, with some fiberglass and fabric, I believe. I don't know much about working with wood so am looking for resources. Maybe certain plane newsgroups (the Osprey isn't very active) or wooden boats, etc. I could use both the basic stuff as well as learning the particulars for aircraft. So far, I've downloaded a bunch of old Sport Aviation articles dealing with different types of wood and inspecting them. Also have ANC-18 and -19.

Thanks,
Dan

messydeer

FYI, the Falco main site has the manual and drawings free to download. I think the owner has recently retired and put it up for public use, IIRCC.

skeeter_ca

The Falco manual has some interesting tips on building with wood.

The Falco is beautiful but way complicated.

skeeter

rheuschele

Here's a tip. If you buy wood from any place other that an aircraft supply, don't tell them it's for a plane. Tell them it's for a boat or they wont even
talk to you.

skeeter_ca

fly_boy_bc

Here's a tip. If you buy wood from any place other that an aircraft supply, don't tell them it's for a plane. Tell them it's for a boat or they wont even
talk to you.

You know I just haven't run into this isssue here in BC Canada. The people at Windsor Plywood are willing to let me go to their lumberyard and grade my spruce and a local exhaust place is helping me with my tuned exhaust. They all just think it's great that I am using their products to do something cool.

That being said I have heard the same advice enough to go with it despite my personal experience. (Just in case).

Gary B in BC rebuilding A Fisher 101.

messydeer

Hey, Gary :)

Went through your berg a couple times years ago on the way to Harrison Hot Springs. I'll look you up to check on your project if I get up that way again.

Haven't got any wood yet, still in the information digesting stage. Speaking of which, I bought the EAA book called, 'building techniques for wood aircraft', or something like that. It's the only one the sell about wood aircraft. Got it just yesterday and went through the whole book. It's a very good book, but of the maybe 50 articles in it, there were only 2 or 3 that I couldn't lookup in a search through their site. I actually downloaded them and have them in the cloud at acrobat.com, but don't see anyway to allow others to access them. I could send them to anyone, or if there is a way to upload them here, I'd be happy to do that.

Dan