• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden aircraft and crash safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
No, I don’t want to talk about Knute Rockne and the interwar Fokkers, just about safety of wooden airframes in light aircraft crashes.

I remember reading about wooden longerons being bound with cord around the cockpit to prevent splitting in a crash (and potential stabbing of the pilot) as early as WWI.

Personally, I am always drawn to wood since I like working with the material, and it gives me a sense of connection to all the early aviators with their wooden planes.

Does anyone have any data on whether wooden airframes are more or less dangerous than steel tube, aluminum tube, sheet aluminum, or composite airframes in a crash?

Cheers,

Matthew

Back