Wooden aircraft and crash safety

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

robertl

With my all wood Taylor-monoplane the ability to survive a crash is a very big concern for me because the fact it's a all wood plane. I started by addressing the roll over problem at low speed with the vertical stabilizer and roll over protection at seat back. But lets face it guys not all emergency's end in that format. What will make it more survivable in a stall spin at 100 AGL and 65 mph ? As a rule the engine will hit first or a wing tip and a cartwheel is induced. If your lucky enough to get the plane level before impact and your in a off field situation most the time your gear will cause a flip onto your back but if not like my fathers crash in a Piper Pawnee the gear folded up and his seat bent down the lower longarons and broke his back and no wood in that plane. So I ask myself would it have been better if the gear self sheared on impact and took out some of the energy? As bizarre as it may sound I would like to have the bottom of my wing just a couple inches from the ground and have the wing bottom take the impact in a crash but the thinkers haven't came up with a working gear to address the flip over problem on either a low wing or high wing to stop those dreaded flip over incidences. My old man asked me once if I had a power failure over water in a biplane would I fly it level to impact or would I invert the plane and take impact that way?? So rather wood or metal plane I believe he was trying to take my mind out of the box of normal flight rules and expand my abilities for survival in a non normal way.
A few years ago I saw a picture of, either a MiniMax or a Fisher Flying Products aircraft that had crashed and the description of the crash mentioned the fact that the way the plane is constructed causes it of break away to avoid damage to the pilot. The plane did not auger in but more or less was trying to make an emergence landing.
Bob