Wooden affordaplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Manu

Hi Everyone,
I have affordaplane plans which is in aluminium but I wish to build it in wood. Does anyone build affordaplane in wood before. Please suggest me how can I convert the plans from aluminium to wood construction.
Best regards,
Mani

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
You cannot just change the material and method of construction of a design. It would require so many changes, and those changes would in turn require changes, and so on, that you may as well start from scratch. You should look for another design that meets your needs that can be build in wood. There many simple wooden aircraft in the ultralight or microlight categories. What are your needs for the aircraft and what materials can you access easily?

FritzW

Log Member
I think you could build something similar to an Afford-A-Plane by replacing the square aluminum tubes with built up wooden box beams but, unless you really enjoy the engineering, it would be a huge process. Not to mention, the Afford-A-Plane has some "questionable design elements" that you'd just be recreating in wood.

If the idea is to keep the simplicity of the Afford-A-Plane but use wood, you might be able to put an engine on a Primary Glider.

33729009474_b6e6aa6ee7_b.jpg

MotorGlider001.jpg There's a sketch of this idea in one of the Flying and Gliding Manuals

2797609_V7Glz.jpeg Yes, we all see the obvious problem with this one. It's just a "general concept" picture. ...maybe two motors on the LE like a Lazair

TFF

There have been various engined primary gliders. Most got too complicated and got heavy. Problem tends to be the pilot and engine trying to occupy the same space.

Manu

Thanks for your support and suggestions guys. I have 36hp engine has access to wood but aircraft grade aluminium is not available here. If aluminium is available then thickness is getting more, that means extra weight & imbalance of everything. That's why I thought about wooden ultralight.
I know that you guys is right I have to think about other aircraft.
I think simplex cloudster is best suited for the project.
Once again thank you for your time and valuable suggestions.
Regards,
Mani

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Single-seat microlight category in India allows for a maximum all up weight of 330 kg (727.5 lb) but does require a wing area of at least 10 sq m (108 sq ft). There are many designs that could work and and the generous weight allowance means that you could use a heavy four-stroke industrial engine conversion instead of a light but expensive two-stroke engine. There is even a company based in India that makes reduction drives for such engines, see https://www.aceaviation.co.uk/. My recommendation would be the TEAM HiMax, plans for which were distributed free for download by the company though they have recently stopped doing so. I don't have a set but expect someone in this group could pass them to you since the company already made them available.

Last edited by a moderator:

WBNH

This clip, from the 6:00 mark...that's likely how any motorized primary glider I could come up with (or wooden affordaplane for that matter) would wind up. Always liked this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Bravo

You will not be able to build the Affordaplane in wood using the plans you have in your possession. There are no thin wall wood tubes that can be directly substituted for the aluminum tubes.

The Ison AeroMax is probably the best and closest thing you could substitute, if you are wanting to have the same STYLE of fuselage as the A-plane.

However, if you are on a low financial budget, the Mini-Max series is ALREADY designed for wood structure and I believe the plans are free. So even though it is not the exact type of aircraft as the A-plane you will save a lot of money and a LOT of time,a nd you will reduce the risk and difficulty a LOT using a different set of plans. By all accounts the Affordaplane is NOT a particularly well-engineered design, so you are not givingup anything worthwhile to step away from that design.

The Ison designs (Mini-Max, AeroMax, Eros, etc. etc.) are known to be reasonably safe and well-engineered.

erkki67

Manu, biside the cloudster and the Minimax, there is a plane coming from the hands of Fritz, an flying Flea, the Piojo, it might be worth to wait for that critter.

Team Aircraft had a stick built prototype, somehow the grandpa of the Aeromax of today, the Airmax;

image.jpeg

They had a structural issue with it as it broke beneath the pills seat, but this could be solved.

Such a fuselage I could get interested too.

Rgds Erkki

nerobro

Log Member
I got the Team Mini-Max plans before they went "pay for" again. they're solid plans.

The Affordaplane is not a design someone should aspire to. Napkin math will result in some shocking results of that design.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
A lovely little plane but quite a bit more sophisticated than an Affordable. If it doesn't need to be Part 103 a Sky Scout is pretty simple and would be a good option for a otherwise heavy but inexpensive auto conversion.

Victor Bravo

There are numerous aircraft similar tot his that can be found on Scott Perkins' VULA site, including the Mike Kimbrel Banty.

The Fisher Flying PRoducts series (FP-101, FP-202, etc.) are proven designs that are easily built in wood.