• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wood type for wood prop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
I am exploring the possibility of carving my own prop for my Flitzer Goblin project. Power will be flywheel-drive 2110 VW. I would start with 64.5" x 34", based on empirical results of AeroVee 2180s on Flitzer Z-21s, expecting to reduce the diameter a bit dependent on static rpm. Shape would be redolent of a TN-212, which would be period-correct for a Flitzer, but with somewhat reduced scimitar, blade width, and hub depth (likely 3-3 1/8" vs 4 1/4" for a similar prop diameter).

My question is: what's the latest thinking on wood types?

According to Weick's 1925 (original) and 1960 (EAA revisit), selection of wood type should be based on prop dia x rpm: below 170,000 spruce is acceptable, from there to 210,000 rpm walnut, mahogany, or white oak, 210,000-240,000 birch or hickory. No mention is made of hard maple.

208,000 is likely to be my max.

Al Schubert used oak, hickory, ponderosa pine, white pine, fir, mahogany, and yellow pine. He notes that many commercial props are made of birch.

Culver Props say they use hard maple and birch.

Dan Helsper tried ash, and switched to hard maple.

Eric Clutton says many woods are suitable, with mahogany a favorite choice (with a few varieties not suitable). Birch, Spruce or any wood of sufficient strength, not too oily to glue, is O.K., with Beech and Walnut being for the masochists among us as they tend to be much harder to work. Western White Pine or Douglas Fir are quite suitable. He often used a center lamination of mahogany with outer laminations of Parana Pine.

My plan is to follow Helsper's Propeller Carving - The All Power Tool Method, so the hardness of the wood is not terribly important (I'm no masochist).

Current thinking?

Back