Wood Scimitar Propellers - reliability?

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by SteveR, Apr 11, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 11, 2011 #1

SteveR

SteveR

SteveR

Are scimitar propellers more prone to breakage than "standard" straight propellers? Some scimitar shapes have quite an aggressive curve, and it seems to me that the strength of the propeller would be reduced. I have heard of one instance where a tip broke off, but one incident doesn't really prove anything.

I'm considering buying a scimitar type propeller, but I want to make sure it is safe. I have a baby on the way this month so I'm thinking about these things more than before. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can recommend me to someone who is an authority on the subject, that would also be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Apr 11, 2011 #2

JMillar

JMillar

JMillar

I would suspect that the lamination of the wood is tailored to ensure that strength remains high despite the curve. But I am certainly no expert.

3. Apr 11, 2011 #3

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

The old guys thought they were OK.

Beautiful.jpg

1926-alexander-Ealgerock-simitar-prop.jpg

Model_L_Front_242.jpg

Some homebuilders have made such props with an extreme sweep and claim that higher thrust loads pull the tips forward, which reduces the pitch of the prop and lets the engine rev a little higher and make more power. In cruise they flex back and increase the pitch.

I dunno.

Dan

DangerZone likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2011 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

what is more important is the linage. if it was made by a company that knows what they are doing they are fine. if you know the history that is important too. If you are worried send it back to be inspected. Some of the new high performance props are being made this way.

5. May 14, 2011 #5

Hugh Lorimer

Hugh Lorimer

Hugh Lorimer

All the props that I have designed and made , had a performance improvement over commercial props. On the subject of twisting? I made the neutral axis of the blade section at the 18% chord line to encourage the de-pitching ( slightly ) under load. The laminated mahogany core had carbon fibre sandwiched also, then the complete shape was encapsulated in c.f. ( Fibre glass would have allowed slightly more twist?.)Hughie

6. Feb 7, 2015 #6

Retroflyer_S

Retroflyer_S

Retroflyer_S

Banned

Sounds like a reasonable idea. Anyone ever laminated prop blades in a mold ?

7. Feb 8, 2015 #7

Jan Carlsson

Jan Carlsson

Jan Carlsson

All propellers can suffer from flutter and loosing a blade or part of a blade. that's why all propellers is or should be tested on the engine it is supposed to go on.

A propeller like the on in the OP is looking like WW1 style, they where wide and slow turning on multi cylinders engine often. put that on a few cyl direct drive, with a high aspect ratio propeller and you might get problem. Or not!

A pure scimitar prop will have a small radius mean line. and need the wood planks to be glued in a S shaped mould with the planks standing instead of flat.

On a small slow airplane I don't think there is any gain in having a scimitar prop over a standard shape propeller. the speed range is to small.
    But a good propeller will win over a poor propeller any times.

DangerZone and dcstrng like this.
  8. Feb 9, 2015 #8

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Just to confirm the old guys were (and still are) right, the most efficient propellers are almost identical in shape... It's like going back to the roots, old school style, the most advanced Hartzell props for piston engines have a sort of scimitar blades.

Hartzell-Propeller-3-blade-7605-composite-piston.jpg
    0710_HPC_FOD1.jpg
    0710_HPC_FOD4.jpg
    Hartzell-Propeller-Composite-Piston-Header.jpg

I know a guy who made wood prop blades and then vacuumed the glass and carbon around the blades and installed a stainless steel leading edge protection more than twenty years ago. Amazingly, last year at the Aero Expo in FH Germany Hartzell has shown a cut through of the ASC-I and ASC-II which seem to have an identical structural technique.