Quantcast

Wood Construction Resources

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
As I have been building my collection of resources regarding building wood airplanes, I have been frustrated by the both the numerous broken links, and the lack of a central repository. So I thought I would make a post organizing some resources, and then attach the files here so that they are available to forum users. Feel free to attach anything useful I have missed.

Grading Wood:
Military Specification Aircraft Spruce
Nasa Report on Aircraft Woods
Causes of Brashness in Wood

Wood Construction:
ANC-5 - Strength of Aircraft Elements Chapter 1, parts 1-3
ANC-5 - Chapter 2, Wood
ANC-18 - Design of Wood Aircraft Structures, parts 1-3
Analysis and Comparison of I-Beam and Solid Wing Parts
Naca Report 344 - The Design of Plywood Webs for Airplane Wings Beams

Attachments

Yellowhammer

As I have been building my collection of resources regarding building wood airplanes, I have been frustrated by the both the numerous broken links, and the lack of a central repository. So I thought I would make a post organizing some resources, and then attach the files here so that they are available to forum users. Feel free to attach anything useful I have missed.

Grading Wood:

Wood Construction:
ANC-5 - Chapter 2, Wood
Great idea and thanks for doing this!

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the link to the Fly Baby page! I had somehow missed that with all it's cool info. However, there are a lot of broken links on that page, which is the problem I keep running into. In the section called Drew's Wood Links most of the links go to dead pages. Not to minimize Mr. Wanttaja's contribution, but I hope by attaching files here, it helps with redundancy.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Drew's info on grading and testing seemed like the most useful article. Identifying aircraft quality wood at a normal, local lumber yard could save a lot of money.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Yup, already bought my first board of spruce at the local hardwood supplier following that advice.

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Wonderful! Between Drew Fidoe, RS Hoover and the above references you should be able to test the material to see what strength it has. Then you can head down to Ace Hardware for a $7.99 container of certified Weldwood and you are on your way.

Yellowhammer

Grading Wood:

Wood Construction:
ANC-5 - Chapter 2, Wood

Sir,
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the fantastic information you have shared with the group. Your efforts are very much appreciated and valued.

I have always admired wooden aircraft and the skill and craftsmanship that goes into it.

Again, Many, many thanks.

Yellowhammer

Wanttaja

Thanks for the link to the Fly Baby page! I had somehow missed that with all it's cool info. However, there are a lot of broken links on that page, which is the problem I keep running into. In the section called Drew's Wood Links most of the links go to dead pages. Not to minimize Mr. Wanttaja's contribution, but I hope by attaching files here, it helps with redundancy.
Thanks for both pointing out the bad links on my page, and posting all this good information. I've added links to your PDF files to the Fly Baby page, and have cleaned up some of Drew's links.

I've also put together an overall workmanship reference for Fly Baby builders; it applies to other wood aircraft as well:

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:

Wanttaja

One additional: The EAA has republished "Building the Wood Aircraft" as a PDF, and download is free to EAA members.

It includes all of Pete Bowers' articles on building a Fly Baby, as well as woodworking articles written by others.

Ron Wanttaja