Wood, composite, fabric

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by stevetosh, Sep 6, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 6, 2019 #1

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Good day ladies and gentle men,

Pardon me if this question has been asked before, the search failed me.

Which plane can be built from wood, fabric and composite, I don't want to go down the path of kit and also want something, I have considered KR2S but that it is too fast for my liking. I want a something that I could build with my son and fly together one day.

Any help please?

2. Sep 6, 2019 #2

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Sorry i forgot to mention, must be 2 seater side by side

3. Sep 6, 2019 #3

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

Gazaille 2 - French design, good support, wood and composite, lots of engine choices.
    Jodel - many 2 seaters
    Pataplume
    Emeraude
    Giuseppi Vidor designs
    Pietenpol (not side by side)
    CAB minicab
    Celerity

Lots out there, depends on your mission.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  4. Sep 6, 2019 #4

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

LMA has plans built wood and fabric designs. There are Cub and Taylor Craft replicas. The manuals are so so but as a first time builder I was able to build one. Those EAA and Bengelis books are a help.

5. Sep 6, 2019 #5

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Fisher, Team and Ragwing all have plans for wood and fabric planes.

6. Sep 7, 2019 #6

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

If you completed an LMA design, there is a thread for you...

7. Sep 7, 2019 #7

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

LMA Build in the UK...

8. Sep 7, 2019 #8

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Apologies for not mentioning my mission. The mission is just fun fly on weekends, probably something in the range of Gazaille 2.

I have looked into Gazaille 2, currently the plans are in french, I heard someone is trying to translate the plans into english but not all have been translated, not sure how long that will take before it could all be translated.

As per the CAB minicab, Pataplume, I have googled for information on where to get plans or builder group but nothing pops up, please do you have more information regarding these aircraft?

TimInOz likes this.
  9. Sep 7, 2019 #9

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Hi thanks for your reply,

Please where did you get your plans? I know WICK AIRCRAFT do sell parts and spruce kits to build the aircraft. Am from Australia and we only have AIRCRAFT SPRUCE here, and thats where i will be buying my materials to cut down cost from shipping materials from USA.

Do you mind to share your building process with me as I think this is the aircraft I will be building. You can please PM directly for any useful information

10. Sep 7, 2019 #10

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Pops likes this.
  11. Sep 7, 2019 #11

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Am reading reviews about the dakota i'll see how that goes in the next coupe of days.

I have the Zenith 701 plans aswell, but am more comfortable working with wood, I will exchange it with any wooden, fabric, composite aircraft plans.

12. Sep 7, 2019 #12

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

The Fisher Super Koala is a beautiful plane. The wing tips and tail feathers are more traditional (rounded) like a vintage aircraft. Its a very similar plane to the Dakota, which is more modern. Both are two place side by side. The LMA 87% 2-place Taylorcraft replica was a beautiful aircraft but the designer passed away years ago and his son in past years hasn't been real involved with selling plans nor builders support. It seems like he is at a place where he is taking more of an interest maybe due to more time to dedicate to it. There is a builders group. You'd probably get better builder support through Fisher and probably a better quality set of plans and manual. I didn't have any problems with the LMA BUT I could see where another first time builder with very little woodworking and fabricating experience might struggle. The LMA is traditional wood and gusset construction made of primarily 3/4 x 3/4 sticks (longerons) with plywood gussets and the wing ribs are 1/8" ply with lightening holes with grooved 1/4" cap strips. A bit heavier than stick built ribs but very fast to produce. One could build stick built ribs. There is probably still a youtube of an LMA Taylorcraft replica with a VW engine on the internet. There was a guy named Mike Makepeace that built a ton of Fishers. I think he built the white Super Koala with the blue stripes that is on Youtube. Best of luck. Building is a blast.

13. Sep 9, 2019 #13

simflyer

simflyer

simflyer

Hello Stevetosh, even You didn't wrote if plane should be low wing or shoulder wing, if Your mission is weekend flying, then don't look for fast planes incl. Gazaile2. Look rather for shoulderwing plane as Pottier P130 (change airfoil to 43013.5), SourisBulle MB04 or so. Plans are in french, but it shouldn't be big problem. If look for low wing plane, then Jodel D20 should be right plane.

14. Sep 9, 2019 #14

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

I would suggest the Ragwing RW8 as a good first choice. It can be built either with single or 2 side by side seats, and tail gear or tricycle. Plans are US$25 and instant download IIRC. But get in touch with someone local to you that has built a wood aircraft. The plans have everything you need but are not the highest top-notch computer-drafted quality.

[Edit]Someone mentioned the Team Minimax series. I forgot about them. They are similar to th Ragwing designs, but the plans are much better drawn. If you can afford them, and are a first time builder, I change my recommendation as to the best choice,

15. Sep 9, 2019 #15

TFF

TFF

TFF

The Emerude is my all time favorite wood plane next is the Falco. From your perspective the Fisher planes are winners. You can do Ragwing if you balk at the Fisher plan cost, but Fisher are well thought out. Probably closer to the power plant choices too.

16. Sep 10, 2019 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

The prototype Fisher Super Koala is in the hanger next door. Its a very good flying airplane. Has a Rotex-582 engine.