Quantcast

Wood Builders Dream Chance

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

Just left the Falco company website and they are shutting down. Very sad for arguably the prettiest airplane ever. They do believe in keeping the plane alive, so they are offering the plans for download free. They have distributed jigs and other things to people to offer some prebuilt components. Offering the plans for free is probably one of the most generous gestures they could do. Sequoia Aircraft Corporation files are very large.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I'm sorry to hear they're closing the doors. I fear that may be a sign of the times; a relatively demanding wood aircraft losing out in a world of quick-build kits of aluminum and composites. Still one of my favorite airplanes of all time.

I am glad to see them distribute the plans. (Right click...Save as....) I do note in the construction drawings that they explicitly state that construction from these plans is not authorized, and that the plans are being distributed for maintenance and preservation purposes. On their web site, though, they say they want someone to be able to build the plane well into the future. We'll see how that works out.

Sequoia has been an excellent steward of the design. I wish them well.

TFF

One of those statements that gives a step of legal separation for sure, even if unauthorized bootleg. With anything not supported, you have to consider yourself on your own and not cry about it. I know of another design that a big homebuilt company still in business sells with kits. A builder asked the company if he could post the plans; they said sure, might get more people building one. The true likelihood of someone building and finishing one is a million to one.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
One Sequoia was finished that is listed on Seqair's website. It was quite a story.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I'm very sad to see Sequoia closing shop. They were part of the world of homebuilding when I first got "the bug" back in the early 1980's.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What a good gesture to make these documents public. I can't wait to see what I can learn from them. I've always loved the Falco.

skeeter_ca

All I can really say is................OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!...............I just viewed the plans. That's not a dream. It's a night mare. That has got to be the most complex two place aircraft build in the world. I have always loved that airplane.

skeeter

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
All I can really say is................OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!...............I just viewed the plans. That's not a dream. It's a night mare. That has got to be the most complex two place aircraft build in the world. I have always loved that airplane.

skeeter
Complex, yes. And yet, people have been turning out stunning examples over the years. I had the pleasure of looking over Dave Nason's Grand Champion winner, and was just blown away by it. If it's possible to lust after inanimate objects, well....
Falcos Awards
I chatted with Dave for a few minutes, found him to be a very nice fellow, and very modest about his achievement.

TFF

There are much more complicated with much worse plans out there, and people complete those. It is a real homebuilders airplane, not a quick fix. The only complicated thing I see is coming up with some wood to make one.

Autodidact

I downloaded this for two reasons: to see what a really well drawn set of plans looks like, and because the builders manual looks like an education in homebuilding an aircraft in and of itself.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Sad. A sign of the times for sure. As Van dominates the market with easier and easier to assemble kits, more people are going to be conditioned that "tab A onto slot B" is what home building is about.

i read somewhere that the Starduster Too was the most popular home built of all time (this was the early 70's) - because it was "easy" to build. I'm guessing the current generation would run from that airplane screaming.

Autodidact

I wish there was a sort of clearing house for old designs that are no longer being supported by their creator/owner. Just a service type entity that would handle printing and distribution, and also distribute profits to the heirs of the owners, but with the understanding that there can be no liability on the part of anyone except the buyer, sort of like what the Smithsonian does and like what ww1aeroinc.org does with the Master Materials List. I can think of many designs that I have seen listed in the homebuilt directories that were published in several magazines over the years, like, the Keleher Lark; there was one nice little single seater I saw in a magazine in the late 70s/early 80s, with a welded tube fuselage and tapered, sheet aluminum wings - I think it was called the Doodle bug or something like that?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I downloaded this for two reasons: to see what a really well drawn set of plans looks like, and because the builders manual looks like an education in homebuilding an aircraft in and of itself.
The drawings are beautiful. I've seen plans from other aircraft, notably the Dragonfly, that looked like scribbled back-of-envelope notes. These are a work of art.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Well, it is what it is. An airplane of this level of performance and systems is going to be complex. In kits like the Lancairs and RV's, most of the complex work has been completed by the kit manufacturer. The Falco is an "old style" kit: Really a plans-built aircraft with some of the more complex components available pre-manufactured for those who'd rather spend money than time.