Quantcast

Wittman Tailwind modified to meet E-LSA?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
And one graph (do not know its source anymore) On magic carpet lift from fuselage :

1600417533213.png

simflyer

I must have missed it. Why is the Buttercup a no-go?
View attachment 101719
After ButterBurger was built TailWind with longer wing (also longer chord) and slightly thicker airfoil, which looks very nice and also flies fast with some slower stall. I will look for info. ButterBurger looks very nice and isn't "no go", but if have to meet LSA regs, then needs wing change.

Attachments

Last edited:

simflyer

Jim Clement about N 167WH - BigWind:
Wing rib profile is the same as the Buttercup (NACA 2412), including 8” chord flaps, no moving leading edge.
Wingspan 27', cord is 55” compared to the TW 48”, wing area cca 132 sq feet compared to about 88 of the TW
Wing is plywood covered the same as the W10.
Fuselage about 12” longer, engine moved forward some, cockpit a bit larger and tail group moved back some.
CG came out very good. Also has RV6 landing gear for more prop clearance.

Engine Lyc O-290G converted. Performance is, stall with flaps about 58mph, clean 62mph. Tops at 182-184 mph.
Landings are like a Lyc powered W10, only in slow motion, The large flaps are very effective.

Empty weight is 900 #. Gross is the same as TW.
Partial flaps max speed 100 mph. Full 80 mph.
32 gallon fuel tank

Last edited:

Tailwind_Fan

I was considering going down this path because I’m having issues with my medical... but decided not to because I can’t fly sport pilot on a driver’s license after being denied a medical, plus the difficulty in even finding a sport pilot instructor. When it became clear my only option was to fight for a 3rd class medical I decided that I might as well get the full PPL.
I was offered an extremely light version of the Tailwind, that had flown with a c-65. However, the landing gear was a little too light and folded up, which lead to revealing the sub-par weld joints under the fabric. I believe this version was not much over 600 lbs?

-Alana