Quantcast

Wittman Tailwind modified to meet E-LSA?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mcmark

I will make somebody a heck of a deal on a Nesmith Cougar project if you want to try for LSA, but you'll have to use a different wing like the Daphne.
Have documentation, but the registration has expired.

Doran Jaffas

H
I know the Wittman Buttercup design can meet the ELSA specs, but was wondering if anyone has ever installed longer wings on a W8 or W-10 Tailwind using a thicker, flat bottomed airfoil (like a J-3Cub)? This wing change would probably require wing struts like a Cub as well. I'm not talking about trying to install or adapt J-3 Cub wings onto an existing Tailwind, but rather to redesign a Tailwind wing to be longer and use a Cub-like airfoil.

I know some Tailwind enthusiasts are probably thinking, "Why would you do that? The Tailwind was designed for speed!" I just think it is one of the best looking high wing monoplanes you can build, but would prefer to fly something a little slower and in the LSA range.
[/QUOTE
I know the Wittman Buttercup design can meet the ELSA specs, but was wondering if anyone has ever installed longer wings on a W8 or W-10 Tailwind using a thicker, flat bottomed airfoil (like a J-3Cub)? This wing change would probably require wing struts like a Cub as well. I'm not talking about trying to install or adapt J-3 Cub wings onto an existing Tailwind, but rather to redesign a Tailwind wing to be longer and use a Cub-like airfoil.

I know some Tailwind enthusiasts are probably thinking, "Why would you do that? The Tailwind was designed for speed!" I just think it is one of the best looking high wing monoplanes you can build, but would prefer to fly something a little slower and in the LSA range.
Check out the Tailwind forum archives.
Use the plans. Build a lookalike out of lighter materials. Smaller, lighter power plant. Test it C A R E F U L L Y and just don't even come close to calling it a Tailwind anything.

Attachments

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Make the JMR Special with a tailwheel and lower the cabin 2" and its what you are talking about. 680 lbs EW and 1100 GW. Tall cabin for a large pilot.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Test it C A R E F U L L Y and just don't even come close to calling it a Tailwind anything.
No-one called any Tailwind derivative as Tailwind. But it is always fine to know. That Wittman design have so many followers. And then he was still with us - he helped to copy-paste his best solutions.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
If I understand this correctly what you want is a better looking Buttercup or just a Buttercup that looks kinda like a Tailwind?
It does not matter, you will have to cope with lower wing loading anyway, and this will make current Tailwind constructio (ie - rigid skin wing) non-optimal for new mission.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It does not matter, you will have to cope with lower wing loading anyway, and this will make current Tailwind constructio (ie - rigid skin wing) non-optimal for new mission.
I don’t understand your post. You can easily take a Buttercup and reshape it to look more like a Tailwind. People have already done this. Strutless look? Yeah that’s different. At that point you’re building a original one of a kind airplane and it’s nothing Wittman related.

But to have a general look a feel of a Tailwind? Absolutely. A sleek Buttercup is not a issue at all.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
I don’t understand your post.
I tried to put Tailwind W8 with W10 wing into our ul category, by leaving its geometry - size, but making it much lighter (rotax engine, minimum instruments, lighter tube gauges) for proper stall speed.

But - it would have bigger tail surfaces, or longer tail tool.

pictsidhe

I don’t understand your post. You can easily take a Buttercup and reshape it to look more like a Tailwind. People have already done this. Strutless look? Yeah that’s different. At that point you’re building a original one of a kind airplane and it’s nothing Wittman related.

But to have a general look a feel of a Tailwind? Absolutely. A sleek Buttercup is not a issue at all.
The really big question is; would it be a Butterwind, or a Tailcup?

pictsidhe

What’s wrong with a Buttercup, no leading edge treatment, tighten up that fuselage a little to look Tailwind-ish and put a sleek cowling on it! Keep it light and minimal and it would be awesome!
That would have a higher stall. Might need a bigger tail, too. The moment from the Buttercups front and rear flaps cancel each other out. I'd just reshape the fuselage and maybe cowl. I doubt it is much different from Tailwind construction.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That would have a higher stall. Might need a bigger tail, too. The moment from the Buttercups front and rear flaps cancel each other out. I'd just reshape the fuselage and maybe cowl. I doubt it is much different from Tailwind construction.
Very little difference, people have done this and are still doing this with not much difference in stall. Still LSA

Mcmark

There is a gent in N MI or MN, one o them COLD places building in his words a Buttwind. Doing beautiful work. Looks like the TW but is built as a BC. Covering and paint so he’s almost there.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
A Buttwind/Tailwup with a Rotax would be interesting.
Yes, but if you use same structure it will be overbuilt one. And carrying extra weight. And weight is the enemy © Billski.

Could other list Tailwind inspired other airplanes ? Mine list is as follow:

Nesmith Cougar
Szaraz SDS-1A Daphne
Hanson Woodwind
Scott Ol' Ironsides
Four runner CF-4