Wittman Buttercup

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

planecrazzzy

Hey,
I had to push the plane outside so I could assemble it and check a few things out...

I took a few pictures , Just thought I'd post them...

The plane has a Lycoming 0-235 ( 118 HP )

Catto Prop ( Climb Prop 66"X46 )

Steve Wittman first Flew this plane in 1938

It has a leading edge that moves forward when Flaps are deployed
Love this Plane ,
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dog
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttercup-STOL/

Attachments

steveair2

Log Member
Mike! That is one fine looking flying machine you have! I like the way you blended the wing tips and ailerons. You have about convinced me that I need a Buttercup for my next project. I wish I could see light at the end of the tunnel on my current project. Keep up the good work!

planecrazzzy

Ah... You notice the "Flow" from aileron to Wingtip....

That was a few "Mods"...

I ended up with 10.5 square inches "MORE" aileron...

( The wing tip was slanted to meet the Aileron )
I truly believe that a person needs to "love" the plane they are building... Because they are gonna spend a lot of hours with it...

I'm love'n this Bird more & more....

But I'm not in a rush to get her flying... It'll happen
. Then I'll have to build another plane.... ( I'm hooked )
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttercup-STOL/

TFF

Looks really good. I really like the Wittman designs. And you are right, you have to love your plane.

Cy V

Looking great! Wittman's designs are among the best. I don't know why they aren't built more often.

billyvray

Man, that's gonna be a good looking bird. Looks like you could call it a Butter-wind with all the Tailwind features. Great Job

planecrazzzy

Thanks Guys,
Yes, it leans towards the Tailwind...

I am mostly looking for the slow flight...

But I also love the look of the Tailwind...

The features of the Tailwind that I'm using...

Should also help with my slow flight...

I've shaped the fuselage more like an Airfoil... ( Front & Rear )

To get better use out of the lifting body effect...

I think it will also help it go faster too...

I'm also putting a cowl like a Tailwind....

I've converted the Tail also....

and I've put a bigger 0-235 lycoming in it...

But I'm using a Catto 66" X 46 Climb Prop

She should climb , like a Homesick Angel

I've also made "mods" to adjust the leading edge "throw"

when the Flaps are deployed...

Lemme see...
There's "Buttwind" and Butterwind

Bettercup... or Butten ( Buttercup/ W-10 )

But I'm liking " W-38 "

Wittman first flew it in 1938
Later made the W-8 and W-10
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

I

iinfotech01

We all want to fly fast and land slow. Sylvester "Steve" Wittman solved the problem. Wittman built two types of airplanes: Racing machines and Travel machines. The ancestors of these two blood lines were Chief Oshkosh and Buttercup. The Buttercup was built as a utility hauler, and there was only one made - in 1937. He flew it all over the western hemisphere, from Alaska to Bermuda, Florida to Oregon. The Buttercup almost made it into production (cancelled due to WWII) coming to the interest of Fairchild as a four-place project, called the 'Big X.' One plae was built for them by "Witt" - a 4-place, 6 cylinder, 130 HP Franklin powered prototype.
The real genius of the Buttercup design is Wittman's claim of 38-40 mph (indicated) slow-flight speed and a near 150 mph top speed, and all on 85 hp! The high speed is vintage Wittman, the low speed is due to an ingenius flap-coupled, retracting lead edge design (seen in today's airliners). Earl Luce of LuceAir, Inc. has 'revived' the Buttercup, featured in the April 2003 issue of Sport Aviation. Kits and fabricated assemblies for the Buttercup are available from Aircraft Spruce.

planecrazzzy

I have a PDF on the Wittman story ( Buttercup )

if yer interested...
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" Building Buttercup/Tailwind

Dan Thomas

Looking great! Wittman's designs are among the best. I don't know why they aren't built more often.
I know why. It's because they're boxy. People want stylish airplanes, something we see on this group all the time. Boxy airplanes look like something a kid nailed together from old lumber. Stylish airplanes look like they were created by an artist of considerable talent. Never mind that the boxy airplane often outperforms the stylish one, and is usually a lot lighter and cheaper to build and sometimes a lot safer, too.

Form is more important than function. This applies to the homebuilt world, to politics (the silver-tongued candidate gets the votes instead of the guy with real-world experience and wisdom), in clothing (what's more inconvenient than stilleto heels?) and so on. We're all artists at heart, I guess, and want to appear attractive even if that attractiveness has some serious drawbacks.

Where I live, flying can be dangerous. Mountains are really unforgiving in both weather and forced landings. My ideal airplane would be something that lands slowly and maybe even floats. An amphibian of some sort with lots of wing. And boxy, too, so nobody steals it:)

Dan

planecrazzzy

Here's a picture of "Red Hamlton's" Tailwind...

He just won the airventure cup "AGAIN" in his class

I think he averaged 223 mph...

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz"

PS They don't look boxy to me....

Looks like a "Lifting Body"

Attachments

Gnarly Gnu

Nice looking Tailwind! I am interested in the pdf article of Wittmans story Mike.... any chance you could post it here or link to it (I found a link on another old thread, same article I believe but it is now dead).

Chris

TFF

The more and more I look at the Tailwinds and Buttercups, the smarter they become. I spent a bunch of time looking at Tailwinds and one Cougar at Oshkosh and took a bunch of pictures compared to the rest except for a Starduster One like I am restoring and some planes I would Like to model. I flew up with a friend who has an RV7 and he was pretty impressed with the speed of that #37. I also had gone up with the intent to find a set of plans to buy, and I looked through the whole place. No one had plans for their designs on hand; I was kind of disappointed. Went through the Fly Mart where the airplane parts were, and there was a set of Tailwind plans sitting buy themselves. The only thing I can say is God put them there for me, and I am not one who would be normally saying that. I think it is the only set of plans that I have that is not a single seat biplane. Hummm.

planecrazzzy

Hi,
I changed the address at the site...

Yes , it turned into a dead end....

It's a "File" at the Buttercup/STOL site...

See if this address works... If not , I can send it directly

to you....

Or , you need to join the Buttercup forum...

Here's the address:

( Nevermind... The address doesn't work )

. I can send it directly to you.... Write me , put Buttercup PDF in the subject line

Take the time to read it... It's a good story...

Last edited:

Gnarly Gnu

See if this address works... If not , I can send it directly to you....
Unfortunately that link doesn't work for me.... and I don't really want to sign up to another forum at this stage just to read the article. Any chance it could be posted here, or is there an article title I can google?

Chris

planecrazzzy

OK,
I'm going to try to attach it Here....

Sometimes they are too big....
Gotta Fly...
It didn't work....

If you email me directly... I'll reply and attach the PDF
planecrazzzy(at)yahoo.com
Just write Buttercup PDF in the subject line...

planecrazzzy

The EAA "Experimenter" is featuring my Buttercup this month...

The link to Steve Wittman's adventures during the Buttercup's beginning is

in the article...

It should be going out very soon... I just approved the article about

"my" Buttercup...
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dog

Attachments

planecrazzzy

When you get your issue... Take the time to read "Steve's" story... and look TWICE when he explains how much lift

the moveable "Leading Edge" makes.... WOW... I can't wait to get mine in the air...

Gotta Fly...