• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wittman Buttercup - Anyone bought the plans and started it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonb

Ok, I've been reading everything I can find on Earl Luce's take on the Buttercup - not a whole lot out there... I've emailed Earl and Aircraft Spruce so I know the plans and the kits are availiable, but it concerns me that there is only one (Earl's) actually flying.

I like the design, moderate low cost, and I think the construction is within my talents (I've refurbished 3 old fords and rebuilt one from the ground up) but it would still be a great learning experience. If the numbers are accurate its quite the performer with 100hp... I think it would be a good platform for a Corvair...

Anyone out there building one? I can't find a single builders log online, so I can only assume the 100+ plans Earl told me he's sold are either gathering dust or all the builders are sooo dedicated to the build they're sleeping in they're garage. My biggest concern is lack of a "builders network" like some of the more popular (and even some of the unknowns) have.

I'm also open to suggestions for other planes I should look at. I'm lusting after an RV-10 (who isn't), but I'm looking for a "starter" design - kit or plans built. Here's what I'd like to find:

2 seat - side-by-side (four would be nice, but HP = $$$)
low or high wing
110kt cruse (that may be a pipe dream, but the buttercup claims it can do 130mph)
Simple construction - I don't want to be bucking rivets for weeks (months... YEARS?) thats what is drawing me to rag & tube - but I may be off in left field on that one...
Moderate construction time - 500~700 hours
I don't have a machine shop full of tools, but I have the basics - 36" brake, small mig w/gas, drill press, etc... so some kit/prefab parts would be nice, but I can make simple stuff.
Here's the biggest limiting factor - all of it for 18-20k, airframe, instruments, avionics, and engine. (night vfr)

Is it impossible? I have the time and I know how much time this can absorb - old cars can burn weekends for years...

Thanks for any advice/comments/complaints in advance...

Tyson

Back