Witold Kasper

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

henryk

Hello Henryk,
Thanks for the notification. I'll try to look at it this weekend. I have been very busy with renovations... lots of plastering, sanding, painting, and am pressed for time right now.

Cheers,
Stefanie
-we have some problems with polish-english translation...

=I understand Yours troubles with renovation=in youth I and my Parents was building 5 hauses and restored 2!

Stefanie Brochocki

Hello to all,
Just want to let everyone know I'm still around and progressing slowly with the renovations on my workspace. I hope to have the floor laid in a week or so. It's slow as I'm doing all the work myself and learning as I go. When I get files and computer set up up in there I will start work on releasing old BKB info with TWITT and HBA. I wish it was happening faster, but it isn't. I hired a Polish translator for some old letters. Hope they prove interesting.
Cheers,
Stefanie

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Ah, the 1980's. When anything was possible, and there wasn't a pack of lawyers saying you couldn't even try it.

Neat video, Norman. Thanks for sharing!

danmoser

Thanks, HenryK for all the great work you are doing.
I'd love to here about the recent progress you're making.

There has been a lot of Witold Kasper bashing here on this thread.. I'm guilty of it too.
Yes, he was an imperfect human, as we all are.
He made mistakes, said somethings he shouldn't have, and treated some people unfairly by not giving credit where credit was due.
But I have to admire what he did achieve in his life.
The Kasperwing ultralight was a success due to both Witold's vision and Steve Grossruck's ambitious and energetic work.
In fact, I'm still trying to find a Kasperwing to buy and fly around... anybody know of a decent one for sale?

If you want to see it with your own eyes, check out a bunch of interesting videos of this marvelous flying machine .. some new, some oldies & moldies.. go here:
Ultralight Aircraft Videos

I've been planning to build an up-to-date version of the Kasperwing with a lighter, sleeker structure and improved aerodynamic/aeroelastic properties.. if only that dang earning-a-living thing weren't taking up so much of my time :dis:

henryk

Thanks, HenryK for all the great work you are doing.
I'd love to here about the recent progress you're making.

I've been planning to build an up-to-date version of the Kasperwing with a lighter, sleeker structure and improved aerodynamic/aeroelastic properties.. if only that dang earning-a-living thing weren't taking up so much of my time :dis:
nck-kasperwing 044.jpgnck-kasperwing 004.jpg I will try to modyfy KASPERWING=no wires\only struts\,main tubes\50*1 mm\,sail under 50g/qm,light ribs and new rudders...=circa 15kg. +very light electric motor,footlaunching.

danmoser

15 kg sounds INCREDIBLE, Henry!
I didn't know you were working on that... looks very interesting.
My thinking is that a single composite spar at ~25% chord could replace the double aluminum spars & compression struts.
Composite ribs would have to be rigidly secured to the spar, which has to be rather rigid in torsion.
Only one-fourth as many wires should really improve high speed L/D
I still like the single surface airfoil arrangement with the sharp LE, but a more conventional double surface may be necessary if the trapped bottom surface vortex drag reduction doesn't work as well as Witold claimed.

henryk

15 kg sounds INCREDIBLE, Henry!

=BUT REAL,WITH MODERN TECHNOLOGY and MATERIALS\V-STRUTS,WITH LIEBECK AIRFOIL\...

=EL.MOTOR+CONTROLLER=2,5kg+BATTERY=ONLY FOR TAKE-OFF.

My thinking is that a single composite spar at ~25% chord could replace the double aluminum spars & compression struts.

?=for "IMPACT"
Composite ribs would have to be rigidly secured to the spar, which has to be rather rigid in torsion.
Only one-fourth as many wires should really improve high speed L/D

Zdj
=WITH POD=L/D=15!

I still like the single surface airfoil arrangement with the sharp LE

=SHARP LE HAVE "ZENITH CX"-HANGGLIDER...

, but a more conventional double surface may be necessary if the trapped bottom surface vortex drag reduction doesn't work as well as Witold claimed
Zdj
=SEE LEFT WING AT PICTURE 12...!
=MY COMMENTS...

f4quickrig036.jpg="sliding ribs"=Sweet Escots patent=shortened rigg time!

Attachments

Last edited:

henryk

danmoser

dear
danmoser

=in my opinion=to make any changes in geometry \AERODYNAMIC\ in KASPER-wings is problematic...

Witold Kasper was genious constructor and good pilot\glider champion\ .

I think=Steeve Grossruck =still flying KASPERWING=can help You in solving this question!
Henryk,

I sent my modified Kasperwing drawings to Witold Kasper many years ago for his evaluation.
The design featured a higher aspect ratio, single spar, and wing warping for turns.
Here is his reply letter to me:
"Dear Daniel,
After reading your letter I come with the following suggestions:
My initial ultralight Kasper Wing did not have ailerons and was pitch controlled by weight shift.
The minimum speed was zero, did not stall was mushing vertical down.
Maximum speed was 70 mph.
The profile I used was FX05-H-126
I am sending you the data.
The spar should be positioned as is on your Kasper wing.
In order to attain the max. neg. drag at the bottom of the wing, the bottom surface has to be made rough.
The drag decreased by 30%.
The reverse wing warping is not needed.
My tip rudder is sufficient.
The wing could be put in a spin, it was turning very tight.
Sincerely,
W. Kasper"

I am now revising this design and working out the details.
The spar-rib attachment detail is the most difficult design issue right now.

Last edited: