Witnessed something today I've never seen before.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vipor_GG

I was at a job site on Fort Jackson this morning when I heard a plane flying over. As usual I looked up to see what it was. It was a small high wing single engine plane that I'm not sure of the type as I couldn't see it for a building until it was going away from me. I went about what I was doing and about 30 seconds later a F-16 came over hauling butt. It approached and overtook the little plane from behind left. After overtaking the F-16 rolled right then left and banked a hard left circle. The F-16 again overtook the little plane and slowed in front of him. I then lost sight of them, but a couple minutes later I saw the F-16 making another left circle then heading in the same direction they were going when I first lost sight of them. I didn't see either of them anymore. Did I witness a pilot with some explaining to do?

flyvulcan

Log Member
Yes. It looks like the light aircraft pilot may get a "please explain" letter.

The standard actions for an interception where there is no radio contact is for the "follow me" aircraft to move ahead of the intercepted aircraft, rock its wings and then turn in the direction of where he wants the intercepted aircraft to follow him.

clanon

They have those indicators ligthy things too...:ponder:

(Missiles they call it):roll:

Anymouse

Pretty much homeless. My location varies from SW A
I was at a job site on Fort Jackson this morning when I heard a plane flying over. As usual I looked up to see what it was. It was a small high wing single engine plane that I'm not sure of the type as I couldn't see it for a building until it was going away from me. I went about what I was doing and about 30 seconds later a F-16 came over hauling butt. It approached and overtook the little plane from behind left. After overtaking the F-16 rolled right then left and banked a hard left circle. The F-16 again overtook the little plane and slowed in front of him. I then lost sight of them, but a couple minutes later I saw the F-16 making another left circle then heading in the same direction they were going when I first lost sight of them. I didn't see either of them anymore. Did I witness a pilot with some explaining to do?
As Topaz indicated, if there was a TFR at the time, yeah, he's in a bit of trouble. However, if there wasn't, it's possible that it was a training flight. Quite often the military will work with the CAP for GA intercept practice.

I've been out of the country so I have no idea if there were any TFRs at the time.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Is it under an MOA? I have been airborne while there are fighters in one of the massive Michigan MOA's and ATC makes sure all the pilots understand to avoid the fighters.

One time in particular, ATC calls out to a turboprop and tells him to watch for F-18s... the guy responds... "Ok, Ill try not to shoot any of them down" :roll:

Vipor_GG

I don't know of any TFRs, but I assumed flying over a military base was a no no. As for MOA Fort Jackson is an Army training base, McEntire air national guard base is only a few miles away, and Shaw air force base isn't far either.