• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wiring my Wings - Strippers, Crimp Tools, Connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know mechanical stuff, but when I went near wiring, I nearly lost my mind. So many choices and hardly any way to know the difference when looking at them on line... I sure can use some guidance from folks who have been through it. Yes, I have looked through everything I can find already present in the forum. been to Prowireusa and Wirecare and CrimpTools and a few other sites... Overwhelming.

Sat through Jim Weir's talk - OK, label numbering schemes, cool; use labels and clear shrink sleeves, cool; Jim talked about cheap connectors, and I have stuff in the wing joint and under the cowling that will get wet, so I think I really need sealed connectors. Do I? If yes, which ones work great in planes? Which tools to work with them? Please recommend brand and part numbers, as there are LOTS of tools out there to sort through.

Sat through Ausman's talk - OK, different missions drive different schemes, bought his book; he likes D-Sub connectors but they look like they are for dry places only - what is the experience with them? Recommends we use machined barrel connectors, cool; He recommended we buy ratcheting crimp tools, pin removal tools and Stripmaster;

The endurance and sports race car guys like the Delco Weather Pack and Deutsch connectors and they run in the rain, sounds good, but... Anyone have experience with them in airplanes? Which ones work great in planes that fly through wet clouds? Which tools to work with them? Please recommend brands and part numbers.

I just ordered Nuckoll's book on Wiring. In the meanwhile I have found so many choices, and can only seem to tell that some stuff costs less than others.

Strippers - some folks like the Stripmaster others claim they nick wires and cause failures... Which ones (brand and part numbers please) work great and do not nick wires?

Crimp tools - Which ones? Is ratcheting essential? IF ratcheting is essential, which tools do the job well? Brands and Part Numbers please.

Labels - Which ones? There are labels that you can print and put clear shrink wrap over, and there are the markers that mark shrink wrap stuff. The ones out on the wings and under the cowl are going to get wet and they need to be durable. Which ones of each type are resistant to stuff like lubricants and detergents and water? Again please recommend brands and part numbers that have worked well for you, so I can do what you have done...

Thanks in advance.

Billski

Back