wiring harness

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Carbon, Jul 29, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1

Carbon

Carbon

Carbon

Hello all. My friend has a TIERATORN TIERRA2 ultra light.

I had made a post before about fixing some of the wiring. https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...stions/15937-new-winged-world.html#post179820

But after a few hours work I believe the harness is beyond repair. There are junky splices everywhere. Broken wires, cut wires. Wires that go nowhere. The repairs were done with dollar store crimps.

Which brings me to my question. Where can I get a wiring harness? Either a factory replacement or a generic harness based on engine and other things. Sorry for sounding so ignorant this is my first experience with an ultralight.

2. Jul 29, 2013 #2

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

As last resort, if you have good molex connections for the ends, you can splice them yourself. The tools are relatively cheap, the beer and pizza for lunch will cost more...
    You can pick up many different types of wires at hardware stores, but stay away from solid core, they get brittle with vibration and temperature. You can easily find wires that come in combinations of 7 or more. The plastic housing can also be found easily, and is required to stop chaffing.
    If you want the best connections, make sure to solder and shrink rap. Your auto parts store will carry all of this, and there is this purple spray on sealer than works great for preserving connections. Otherwise, youll get a lot of corrosion, even with the solder.
    They make soldering irons with a what looks like a bicycle horn on it, it actually allows you to suck up the solder and release it as you like. Can be a lot easier than using soldering wire if you arent used to soldering. I found mine at radio shack. It works pretty good to remove bad solder as well, just apply heat and suck it out.

3. Jul 29, 2013 #3

Carbon

Carbon

Carbon

4. Jul 29, 2013 #4

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

5. Jul 29, 2013 #5

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

An ultralight cannot be hard to rewire. Skygeek.com and Steinair.com are a good sources of wire and connectors. If you really need diagrams, here is a great source of advice for wiring airplanes:

AeroElectric Connection - Publications

Everything I know I learned from Bob Nuckolls (above). It is the avionics wiring that sometimes gets me scratching my head but all the manufactureres have pinouts online.

6. Jul 29, 2013 #6

Carbon

Carbon

Carbon

I was also surprised.

7. Jul 29, 2013 #7

Carbon

Carbon

Carbon

I was hoping someone knew of a company that makes wiring harnesses based on your specs. Like "painless performance wiring" does for hotrods. They even have all the info actually printed on the wire.

8. Jul 30, 2013 #8

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

If you will post some pictures of connectors/wiring you're having trouble with, someone can advise you. Certainly, an avionics tech or a competent homebuilder could rewire it for you. The net is full of good airplane wiring photos and projects. I have looked at the "Painless" brand stuff for airplanes but generally, wiring from scratch is easier, cheaper, and lighter.

Attached Files:

9. Jul 31, 2013 #9

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

That don't look like an ultralight. The avionics would have prewired for each unit and they would have to be marred to the rest of the airplane. You or some one will have to draw up a complete plan that will have to be carefully thought out. There is no standard way to do the whole thing you will have to know the way all the systems interact.