• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wiring dillemna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debating on how to handle some wiring changes in my Hatz...

Right now I have three switches and two fused circuits: master, com and nav (the latter being a USB power port and a cigarette lighter socket, it originally powered a VOR that I removed). The fuses are tubular glass fuses in individual fuseholders above the switches. I now plan to add nav lights and strobes, so I'll need two additional fused circuits.

1651533149428.png

My original thought was to eliminate the existing fuses, and put in four new circuit breaker/switches, using the existing fuseholder holes for the two new circuits... but they're too close together for the height of the breakers. The next idea was to install a new fuse block with modern automotive blade fuses, with the new switches in the fuse holder holes... but the AN3021-2 switches are the same size as the breakers, so they won't fit there, either. So I've pretty much resigned myself to drilling new holes for the two new switches to the left of the existing NAV switch, there is room between it and the clock, and then... two more holes above them for two more fuses, or use the new fuse block (which I already bought, it was cheap) and plug the existing fuse holes? Modern fuses are a lot better and easier to handle than the old glass fuses.

There currently is no bus, the two circuits are simply wired to the ammeter terminal. If I use the fuse block it'll essentially become the bus, but the modern plastic fuse holder would spoil the 1930s biplane vibe unless I hide or cover it... nothing electric in the plane is flight critical so I don't need to be able to access it in flight. Still, the logical place to mount it is to the triangular space between the fuselage tubes below and aft of the fuel selector, as that's where the wires already run (the battery and master solenoid are behind the seat). Or?????

Back