• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wiring a radio - Anyone using MGL V series COMs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Hey - is anyone here using this brand of COM unit?
I have some questions about PTT wiring, and what is required to get a clean signal:

Studying the harness wiring diagram, I notice the pilot and co-pilot PPT circuit runs in parallel between the second Mic terminals and plug locations 18 & 19, and the wire shielding (earth). This raised a question for me:
Does the MGL V6 simply require voltage at the PPT terminal locations, to “switch” the PTT on and transmit the modulated signal when the button is depressed? Or does a modulated signal from the second Mic terminal actually flow through the PPT switch and into the MGL unit for subsequent transmission?

I have already wired my PPT switches (integral to the joysticks), and fear I may be forced to “break into” the wiring harness (in which case I would try and make it myself). Else I might need to tear my joysticks down again, to revise the PTT earth wiring, also not ideal. But if it's just a question of voltage to switch, then the signal will hopefully be clean enough with my current configuration.

View attachment V6 diagram.xls (4 place) - June 25, 2012.pdf

I also asked the guys at MGL about this, eagerly awaiting a reply...

Back