• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Winter is finally here - but I'd rather fly than sled!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottaFly

Thinking of buying a Murphy Rebel kit for sale nearby. Got me to thinking about Rotax engines - which got me to thinking about Rotax engines for snowmobiles, which got me to thinking about the Rotax (BRP) 800r e-Tec engine - which is a compact little two-stroke.

Which got me to thinking about just how sorry the Rotax 912 is by comparison. You see the 800r is a state-of-the-art fuel-injected computer-lubricated 800cc two-stroke monster which kicks all of the 912's 1352 tiny little 4-stroke cc butts on a dyno and power-to-weight.

Unfortunately, it does not deliver this epic butt-kicking until about 7800 RPM - where it produces 159 hp and 107 ft-lbs of torque. A bit of a challenge for any PSRU.

It also puts itself to bed at the push of a button, and uses a tiny fraction of the oil of the 2-stroke Rotax 582 Aviation unit. As neither the 912/914 nor the 582 have changed much in 3 decades, I think it might just be time to think outside the 30-year box and make the 800r fly!

Any ideas?

(Another candidate would be the NASA "GAP Diesel" - another two-stoke - but one which we are unlikely to find attached to a recently-wrecked $9,000 snowmobile for 800 bucks.)

Just a thought :)

Oh, and hi. My name is Steve. Great forum!

Back