Winter instruments

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Danielle, Jan 7, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1

Danielle

Danielle

Danielle

Its time for me to order some instruments for my Dakota Hawk build . I have to stay in budget so I was first thinking about the standard UMA or Falcon gauges from Aircraft spruce but there was a brand called "Winter " that looked very interesting. They have some unique features . But are they worth the extra cost? I have budgeted about 200 dollars per flight gauge and 130 dollars per engine gauge , anybody have any coast saving ideas that would work and still leave me with reliable gauges ?

Anyone out there have any opinions on the Winter brand of gauges.

Also this is my first build and I was wondering what the max speed on my airspeed gauge should be . My airplane will have a VNE speed of 120MPH. So should my Airspeed stop at 120 or 140 or 160 ?? "Winter" only makes gauges that go to 120 or 160 Mph?

The left side of my panel will have four 3,1/8 th inch flight gauges
    Airspeed
    Altitude
    Vertical speed
    Tach

The right side of the panel will be 2,1/4 inch
    fuel level
    Oil pressure
    Oil temp
    Voltage
    amperage
    cyl head temp
    OAT

Here is a photo of the blank panel as it is now .

100_1193.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Jan 7, 2013 #2

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

I would personally look for a (2nd hand?) EFIS which'll be in the same price range.

I have flown most of my hours behind Winters. German quality, accuracy and virtually indestructible. Any specific questions?

3. Jan 7, 2013 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I have also done most of my microlight flight time in an Ikarus C42 with Winter gauges, they are very solid if somewhat expensive.

The arrangement you have seems quite logical and clean. One thing you might consider are combination gauges (either analog or digital) for some of the items on the right, say oil pressured/temp in one and volts/amps in another. That would free up the two nearest holes for 2 1/4 inch size radio and transponder (if needed). I don't really see the need for a panel-mounted OAT gauge, either, I'd just go with one of the ones that mounts through the windshield, like this one: Wag-Aero Online Store - 2 1/8" Outside Air Temperature Gauge

That space between the two gauge clusters would work well for a small GPS or an iPad Mini.

If VNE is 120 mph then I would go with a 120 mph ASI.

Cheers,

Matthew

4. Jan 7, 2013 #4

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Simple is good, inexpensive is smart. I am involved in the same situation that you are and I am seriously considering the Grand Rapids EIS for the majority of my engine instrumentation: fuel, oil temp, oil pressure, manifold pressure, egt,cht, tach (and time(ers)). This also has an alarm if any parameter goes out of limits. This all is in one box that also will do pitot static display also but I think I want to have a separate airspeed, altimeter, and compass. We all need to consider that if all goes south we can still fly without any instruments, sucessfully. I don't think I have ever spent much time looking at a compass. I think my front and center instrument will be an Ipad mini running Foreflight. But I'm also up for any positive suggestions. My next decisions will be radio and transponder. Again simple and inexpensive is paramount. I have to remind myself that after all the money is spent and I have this airplane flying the way I like; there won't be anybody beating my door down trying to buy it away from me.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #5

Danielle

Danielle

Danielle

So far its thumbs up for the Winter instruments.

I have ruled out EFIS mostly on esthetics . Plus this airplane is going to be up in Alaska and I have questions about the display screen surviving -35 below temps. I am going to give the I -Pad a try for Gps- Nav but I am making it removable so it can go in the cabin with me to stay warm .

Combination engine gauges sound like a smart move and the OAT can go some where else.

Mark, have you tried a vertical card compass thats what I plan on using.

Danielle

6. Jan 8, 2013 #6

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

My Winter vario still works after 30 years.
    The vertical compass is useless in my opinion At least mine is, I think it is a Hamilton brand.

7. Jan 8, 2013 #7

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Actually I have seen the vertical compasses and they look just like directional gyros. I've never used one. A funny story... I used to work for a large department store flying a Learjet. I asked one of our Challenger pilots about how he liked that compass as we were sitting in the cockpit. He said, "I don't know, it has nice light in it." He never looked at it either. So as for a compass; one found on ebay for 40 bucks and it will plug a nice hole.;)