• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wingtips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzypeterson

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place here, new member. i just picked up a sonerai 2L. She’s going to need a little love before I try flying her. Little fabric work. And an overall going through on hardware and rigging and such. She has no wing tips. Just a butt ending.

wondering if anyone ever commercially made wingtips. (I don’t need fancy Horner tips or anything but that would be nice). I know i could glass them up myself but that is messy work and call me wierd but, I hate the feeling of Rubbing on foam.

otherwise anyone that likes doing glass work that I can hire if it does need to be a custom thing?
What have you guys in the past done if you didn’t want to make your own. The butt rib metal end just doesn’t look good at all. Even putting aside the drag aspect.

actually haven’t yet. But will certainly try. I doubt they are doing much just yet though. But maybe! She really needs some different tips though.

I have f,glas wingtips for my Sonerai 2. 20 years old but not damaged. Tricky build that they are sandwiched under the wing skins.
But I needed more fuel so I took them off and made Hoerner wingtips, each with 3.5 gals fuel. With 127 hp I get 180 kts. Engine is Jabiru 3300 wit the Jabiru hoop pine prop.
Bill E

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place here, new member. i just picked up a sonerai 2L. She’s going to need a little love before I try flying her. Little fabric work. And an overall going through on hardware and rigging and such. She has no wing tips. Just a butt ending.

wondering if anyone ever commercially made wingtips. (I don’t need fancy Horner tips or anything but that would be nice). I know i could glass them up myself but that is messy work and call me wierd but, I hate the feeling of Rubbing on foam.

otherwise anyone that likes doing glass work that I can hire if it does need to be a custom thing?
What have you guys in the past done if you didn’t want to make your own. The butt rib metal end just doesn’t look good at all. Even putting aside the drag aspect.

I have for sale a pair of original S2 wingtips from a project, never installed. $100

Attachments

• 20200420_111341_resized.jpg
    20200420_111341_resized.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
I have f,glas wingtips for my Sonerai 2. 20 years old but not damaged. Tricky build that they are sandwiched under the wing skins.
But I needed more fuel so I took them off and made Hoerner wingtips, each with 3.5 gals fuel. With 127 hp I get 180 kts. Engine is Jabiru 3300 wit the Jabiru hoop pine prop.
Bill E

I’ll get a hold of you guys after I pick up my plane in the next two weeks. I do need them and appreciate you offering. But right now the pressing issue is taking possession of my sweet new little widow maker a speed deamon. I was a little ahead of myself on worrying about wing tips. But I will be buying them, if one of you still have them in a couple weeks. It’s a load off my mind knowing you guys have them available. I thought I’d be having to make them.

Last summer i was at a farm auction when a RV3 project came up, whooda thunk it?

Have not done the work to my S2, need to find how much or if adding the Hoerner type tips will affect the spar rating.

The point of this, though, is that the RV-3 tips look to be a very close match to S2 wings, though there would be cutting and patching at the aileron area.
Checked with Van's for pricing, and IIRC a pair was less than $200. YMMV, owner assumes all responsibility for adequate fact checking, etc, etc, etc.

smt

Back