• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wingtip/canard tips for Dragonfly MK2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
I took some time tonight and went through the plans, the newsletters, etc. and could not find any solid info on how to finish the wingtips. It appears that at some point in the 90s/early 2000's there was a company that made pre-molded tips, but otherwise it seems to be something of a "builders choice" sort of thing.
I am thinking an upswept/trailing edge along the lines of the RONCZ tips used on the Long-EZ for the canard and a "sharklet" or blended winglet for the main wing.

My reasoning is twofold-

First- the GU airfoil used on the Dragonfly loses lift when wet or "bugged" on the canard, and so vortex generators are added to help that and upswept tips should help as well.

Second- a sharklet or blended winglet *should* help the wings efficiency.

Of course the wing and canard tips can always just be rounded off and blended, but where is the fun in that?

Thoughts?

Pictured are not my airplane, but an very similar example from the web

Attachments

• 0098197.jpg
    0098197.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 12
Back