Wing walker and pilot killed

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aircar

Banned
All I could get was a Tampon ad on your link --but I guess it will be much like every other 'wing walker killed in stunt ' case (there is one of a tiger Moth crashing with wing walker on HBA already and several others where the wing walker only dies --in every case the spectacle demonstrates nothing of any use or actual skill but panders to the crowd bloodlust to hope to see A REAL DEATH right in front of them ! --what else can be the point of it ? - a news reporter here actually DID the wing walker bit and reported it for the paper . No doubt a show of real guts and total faith in the pilot but overall simply tempting fate for the sake of a thrill.

I caught this crash while googling for something else also another light plane plunges into house one --the public only hear about the misadventures and not the typical accident free operations --EAA seems to revel in the 'near death' experience of this sort of thing in it's airshow routines and they all end only one way (French Connecction etc )

topspeed100

Banned
All I could get was a Tampon ad on your link --but I guess it will be much like every other 'wing walker killed in stunt ' case (there is one of a tiger Moth crashing with wing walker on HBA already and several others where the wing walker only dies --in every case the spectacle demonstrates nothing of any use or actual skill but panders to the crowd bloodlust to hope to see A REAL DEATH right in front of them ! --what else can be the point of it ? - a news reporter here actually DID the wing walker bit and reported it for the paper . No doubt a show of real guts and total faith in the pilot but overall simply tempting fate for the sake of a thrill.

I caught this crash while googling for something else also another light plane plunges into house one --the public only hear about the misadventures and not the typical accident free operations --EAA seems to revel in the 'near death' experience of this sort of thing in it's airshow routines and they all end only one way (French Connecction etc )
RIP

Wing walker's plane crashes at Dayton Air Show - CBS News

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter

You're right, we need to cancel all airshows, air races, and demonstrations, civilian and military, all over the world for the safety of participants and spectators. I believe that included in this is all motorsport races, local and international, as many drivers and onlookers are killed each year. We need to end these "bloodlust" activities immediately! Also, I believe that Automobiles should be governed to a reasonable speed (50 mph) to save lives, flying left to the professional military types, wars should be outlawed, crime curtailed and the world be made a SAFE place to live......Kum-by-Ya Lord, Kum-BY-Ya.............................

PTAirco

You're right, we need to cancel all airshows, air races, and demonstrations, civilian and military, all over the world for the safety of participants and spectators. I believe that included in this is all motorsport races, local and international, as many drivers and onlookers are killed each year. We need to end these "bloodlust" activities immediately! Also, I believe that Automobiles should be governed to a reasonable speed (50 mph) to save lives, flying left to the professional military types, wars should be outlawed, crime curtailed and the world be made a SAFE place to live......Kum-by-Ya Lord, Kum-BY-Ya.............................
You forgot circus trapeze artists!

Frankly, I can take or leave this wingwalking business. Watching an airplane with somebody securely strapped to the center section may provide a thrill to the person up there, but does nothing for me. The 1920s stuff with people actually walking around and swinging of struts etc, untethered - it makes me cringe a little. Not sure if in a good way or a bad way. I am sure there are people in the crowd who'd find an accident pretty thrilling, same as some people at a NASCAR race. I doubt it is inherently any more dangerous than aerobatic displays and without some kind of element of danger/difficulty it has little entertainment value. And that's what these people are - entertainers. They chose this life and have probably weighed the risks. Banning such activities would lead down a slippery slope.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I don't feel wingwalking should be banned, but flying inverted that low is just stupid, in my opinion.
Looked to me like it stalled just as the pilot attempted get some altitude to roll upright.

autoreply

No, people should read "50 shades of grey". Not thát one, the other.

There's more than black and white. There is no reason for unnecessary danger, like flying extremely low, or too close to the audience. And I think Aircar is right, advocating this kind of stuff, instead of the less spectacular homebuilding stuff as the EAA can and will eventually backfire. That's to nobody's advantage...

Pops

Log Member
Some people are afraid to do much of anything because of the fear of getting hurt ( wouldn't ride a bicycle without helmet, gloves, pads, etc), and then some people do not have as much fear and will take the calculated risk and do things that a lot of people would never think about doing. I guess I am the latter, used to drive race cars, motorcycles, worked as a high rigger setting building steel and building smoke stacks, free climb radio and TV towers,(look that one up), flew camera aircraft making movies, etc, when I was younger. Have came close to getting killed so many times I lost count. You have to know your limitations and don't even get close to the edge. Low level aerobatics is getting close to the edge in anyone's book. I prefer not watch it. Dan

Gsport

HBA Supporter
Curious thing about this accident - note the control inputs - he pulled the airplane into the ground. Some videos are better quality than others and you can actually see the moment he reverses the elevator from down to up while still inverted (right aileron and top/right rudder also); still plenty of engine noise just before impact.

SVSUSteve

PTAirCo said:
I am sure there are people in the crowd who'd find an accident pretty thrilling, same as some people at a NASCAR race.
You mean there's a reason people watch auto racing other than for the crashes? Weird.....I would think people would get tired of watching other people take left turns. ;)

Mark Schoening said:
motorsport races, as many drivers and onlookers are killed each year.
The number of drivers killed in professionally sanctioned races is usually in the single digits (if any are killed). I can't recall the last time a spectator was killed at a racetrack. Now you have the "road rally" guys where the regs are a bit looser but even there, I don't think there's a significant risk and that is coming from someone who spends his professional efforts largely looking at risks and how people get killed etc.

See "carsurfing"
Yeah, not in a professional context though. I saw two cases of that while working as a volunteer firefighter/EMT back home. Both involved teenage boys.

Maybe his belt slipped or something. No room for error at fifty feet.
Given the post-crash fire, I am not sure we will ever be able to determine that one way or the other. I am glad to know I am not the only one who thought this looked like the pilot pulled it into the ground. Hell, he could have sneezed or something and that's all she wrote.....

Nickathome

Jane Wicker and her pilot friend were at our local airshow last year. I stood at one point maybe 20 feet from her after she had done her act. It was very exiting to watch and from seeing the lady up close, the way she interacted with people around her, she appeared to be a very nice and friendly person. Although we all realize the danger involved in what these people do, its still very sad to see their lives end this way. I'm sure she wanted to be home with her family at day's end and not end in a tragedy like that which killed her. But I'm sure she had it in the back of her mind with every flight, that this could be the one that ends it all. Again very sad.

radfordc

Watching an airplane with somebody securely strapped to the center section may provide a thrill to the person up there, but does nothing for me. The 1920s stuff with people actually walking around and swinging of struts etc, untethered - it makes me cringe a little.
MS Wicker didn't use any safety straps or restraints...she just crawled around on the wing. It is scary to think about.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
The number of drivers killed in professionally sanctioned races is usually in the single digits (if any are killed). I can't recall the last time a spectator was killed at a racetrack. Now you have the "road rally" guys where the regs are a bit looser but even there, I don't think there's a significant risk and that is coming from someone who spends his professional efforts largely looking at risks and how people get killed etc.
February 23, 2013

No one died but that is just happenstance. It happens more often than you think. Racing is a lot safer than it used to be. There have been some horrific spectator area crashes over the years. When gasoline was the choice it was a lot worse. Cars and tracks are way better. People used to just line up on the sides of the Mille Miglia with cars screaming by until a really bad event. Same with motorcycle events. The TT on the Isle of Mann is still one of those events that shouldn't exist. I have driven the Nurburgring many times and it exists in the face of attempts to shut it down. And I still have my little Schwabian hotrod downstairs that I like to stress a few traffic laws with from time to time. But that is way less dangerous than sliding down cliffs on skis or riding a bike down a bad hiking trail. And then there are the BASE jumping types and the flying squirrel types that are dying all the time. I guess we should just outlaw fun derived from adrenaline. It is just pure dangerous.

topspeed100

Banned
I cannot think of any more dangerous job than walk on a wing of an aeroplane inflight...without chute or harness.
Possibly climbing mountains or skyscrapers without a safety line is as dangerous.