• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

wing spar loading?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantR

I figured this up strictly for my entertainment with no intent on building something based on this. I am just trying to understand how wing loading and bending moments work together and how a spar is loaded from wing tip to root.

Please see the attached picture. I based this on an airplane with a weight of 600 pounds, a 5’ X 24’ wing 120 sq feet, wing loading of 5 pounds per square foot.

Based solely on this number, the bending moment or foot pounds of torque applied to the root of one 12 foot wing half is 1650 pounds.

The way I did this seems logical to me even though this is probably way off. What I did is determined the wing area in one foot increments. So 5’ X 1’= 5 square feet X the wing loading (5) X the moment (wing span) to the root. I did this by the foot and added the numbers together to come up with the total.

The reason I did it this way is because the wing supports the weight of the airplane across the entire wing. With it being known that each square foot supports 5 pounds, this seemed like the way to figure the loading.

I recalculated it the same except I did it in ¼ foot increments which worked out to 1.25 square feet per ¼ foot and 6.25lb per ¼ foot. The bending moment or foot pounds of torque applied to the root of one 12 foot wing half is 1763 pounds or 113 pounds more.

Attachments

• wing calculation.JPG
    wing calculation.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,230
Back