wing ribs bent over a 16" tire

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
i found a photo of wing rib bending over a 16 inch tire, with the tube filled with sand or rice.who has tried this and can anyone explain it more?
If you are talking about bending tubing that is a way to bend tubing tighter than in could collapse due to tensile strain. Packing the tubing with sand keeps it round while bending it. There are other techniques as well. Old hot rodders used sand to bend headers.

For most gradual bending of tubing like ribs you can normally use a die set to keep the tubing from crimping. Those die sets are sized to keep the tubing from expanding laterally. Then there are all the automatic methods for doing tight bending but those are beyond the home shop normally.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
No need to fill with sand.
It will bend without kinking. (wont bend around leading edge)
The hard part is all that spring back makes getting the curve to match your airfoil can be difficult.

TFF

The tire probable has the right radius. I bent my Starduster rudder over my knee; the 4130 limit of my knee too. Tubing benders are nice, but with multiple dies needed, it can be expensive for just a few bends. Also with a gentile shape it might be easier to hand shape.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
No need to fill with sand.
It will bend without kinking. (wont bend around leading edge)
The hard part is all that spring back makes getting the curve to match your airfoil can be difficult.
I have seen ribs bent around the leading edge where they allowed the tube to go flat for that portion then back to full round for the majority of the chord length. Works fine. Also seen tubing flattened and riveted to a sheet metal flanged leading edge piece. All kinds of ways to skin that cat.