• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

wing rib gussets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicummo

Hello everybody;

I have a problem, I'm traying to resolve it by two or threee differents ways, but I want to know from you why I could be wrong or wright.
I can not find 1/16 plywood for the gussets where I live, minnimun 3mm and it isn't very good; so I build my own 1/16 gussets in three ways:
1. three layers of wood sheets (think enough)
2. three layers of fiberglass (the middle one at 45 degrees). the fiberglass is of 200 grs/m2
3. two layers of wood and the center with fiberglass (at 45).

I need to make gussets for 28 ribs (pietenpol),

the case 1, is the most "rigid" and heavier (I glued with epoxy), and the most difficult to build because I have to cut a lot of sheets to make the center layer, keep it in place without move, etc.. it isn very difficult, but it isnt easy too.
The case 3 is the easyest to make, but is too flexiblein any axes. it is very strong in tension, even compresion, but it bend more than 1.

But I want to know If I could replace the plywood gussets with fiberglass gussets, and why. I think I am going to build them of wood, but I have my doubts why not fiberglass

thank you

mario

Back