Wing loads

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Butch_58

Is there any place I can find what wing loads on different types of aircraft that a designer shoots for? Home built, smaller scale, scaled war birds?

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Wing loading directly affects stall speed. In fact, the only things that determines a plane's stall speed (which is usually also its landing speed) is:
1) Wing loading (lbs per SQ foot)
2) Anticipated lift coefficient of the wing.

A designer will generally pick his wing area and max gross weight based on the stall speed he wants to achieve.

As an example, a plane like a Cessna 172 will have a maximum wing loading of 14.2 lbs per SQ ft. It has a stall speed of 47 knots (full flaps).

Many replica warbirds will have higher wing loading and stall at higher speeds.

You can easily calculate the wing loading of any plane you'd like by dividing it's maximum allowable gross weight by it's wing area.

The wing loading of the Titan T-51B(a P-51 replica) is 2250 lbs/ 118 sf = 19.07 lbs per SQ ft. The 2250 lbs was published by the kit manufacturer, flying examples may be different.

Last edited:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not know of such a database. You might have to compile it yourself. You might be able to make it a community project and grow it into a big resource for all of us.

BJC

Supporting Member
Is there any place I can find what wing loads on different types of aircraft that a designer shoots for? Home built, smaller scale, scaled war birds?
It’s not clear to me if you are asking for wing loading, i.e., pounds per square foot of wing area, or the total load on the wing expressed in aircraft vertical acceleration, i.e., g load.

BJC

Pops

Supporting Member
Wing loading of my SSSC is 6.75 lbs per Sq Ft.----- Power loading is 13.5 lbs per HP.
Wing loading of my JMR Special is 9.37 lbs per Sq Ft. ----- Power loading is 12.35 lbs per HP.

Mad MAC

Roskams Airplane Design series Part 1 or 2 has a index of wing loadings but the homebuilt one is just one of many so isn't as comprehensive as one may wish.

scramjetter

On the high end of wing loading is the Swearingen SX-300, which is in the neighborhood of ~35 lbs/ft^2, giving it a hot stall speed but wow what a fast ship!

Butch_58

I understand wing loading. I was wondering if there were any standards that home built guys try to achieve? I was looking at the 1/3 B-36. It has a high lift airfoil, and if Had a wingspan of 76.6' and a wing area of 564 sq ft at 7900#'s would have a wing load of 14#'s per sq ft. It may weigh more but I'm just thinking out loud. Even at double the weight it's still light for the size.

addaon

Supporting Member
Wing loading is usually determined by target stall speed, which ranges from 45 kts for trainers up to 61 kts for hot singles. As mentioned, wing loading and CLmax together determine stall.

Aesquire

The B-36 is an outlier, as it was designed for high altitude cruise.

Irrelevant Anecdote.
There was a window in time where none of the U.S. Air Force jet fighters could reliably intercept a B-36. The climb time and speed & ceiling meant they needed lots of time to get up there, and were sluggish and slow.

My father was stationed in Treasure island when they had a test raid, running a B-36 North along the coast from Baja to Seattle. The LA & SF area Air Force base sent up fighters that just couldn't keep up. The Navy launched F7U flying wing fighters and flew barrel rolls around the bombers. No problem to intercept. The tech caught up with the challenge in both services.

The F4D & F-106 both were known for climb to altitude and had light wing loading deltas.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
An article in Sport Aviation archive around year 2000 covers the topic of wing loading, power loading and span loading and how they interact. Search EAA archive for author Neal Willford.

Last edited:

llemon

This is from McMasters;
wing area v mass.png wing span v mass.png

And this is from a book I can't recall the name of;
wing loadings.png
And my own data for single seat homebuilts;
misc single homebuilts wing loading.png
Spanloading here is mtow/b^2
misc single homebuilts span loading.png
List of aircraft in the above two charts
Davis DA-11
Teenie
Corby Starlet
Lefebvre MP.205
PIK-26
Beecraft Honey Bee
Bede BD-17
Roberts Sceptre 1
Pereira GP-5
Piranaha
Polen Special
Midget Mustang 320
Vans RV-3 O-320
Arnold Ar-5
Rand KR-1
Cassut Special I
Mini-IMP
Lesher Teal
Mead Adventure
Piel C.P.80
Midget Mustang 200
Pottier P.50
Silence Twister
Onex
Aerocar Mini-Imp
Poltergeist Special
Turner T-40
Jurca M.J.3H
Davis DA-5
CH 100 – O-200
Davis Wing DX-1
BK-1
Stits Playboy
Mooney Mite
Thatcher CX-4
Rutan Quickie Early
Rutan Quickie Late
MC-15 Cri-cri
Star-Lite LS-1
Silhouette SA-60
Heinonen HK-1
MC-30 Luciole
Teenie Two
Harmon Mister Amer.
Catto Acro-X
Taylor Titch
PIK-11
Forsgren LF-1
CH 100 – VW
Bowers Fly Baby
Jurca M.J.2
Cvjetkovic CA-61
MB-1 Colibri
Pazmany PL-4
Fishercraft Zippy
Piper Skyscyle
Lock. Little Dipper
Taylor Monoplane
Bouns. Super Prosp
Buck Mini Coupe
Gatard AG 02
Ultracruiser
Jodel D.9
Bounsall Prospector
SD-1 Minisport
Pober P-9
CH 50 Mini Z
Druine Turbulent
Evans VP-1
Headberg Sky Sct.
Rans S-4
Clutton FRED S.3
Fisher Avenger
Baker Supercat
Litecraft Bearcat
Cea-311 Anaquim

JML678

Hi Butch. Please check you private messages for pages from Roskam on aircraft weights. Not wing loading per-se, but a good table on what aircraft weigh.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Yes, there are "rules of thumb" for generic aircraft types out there. I have read them and no, I cant recall where. But its on the interweb somewhere. Short of that, look for the type of airplane you are trying to emulate. Think RV, Lancair, Pitts, Cub, Weedhopper. Most fall into very similar performance categories.