• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing help??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

Hey there all,
I know I am new to all of this, and I also know that this is the first time I have attempted to design and build a "big" plane of my own, as the only ultralight builds I have been involved with before have been out of a box.
So naturally I am taking every step very slowly and carefully.
I am trying out DesignFOIL, and it is very comprehensive, and I like it a lot, but I'm a little confused about my figures here.
I have put in the figures for my wing design, and heres what it came up with. (see attached Pic)
Airfoil NACA 0006-63
Span 24.93 ft
Root Chord 7.89 ft
Tip Chord 3.40 ft
LE sweep 30 deg
Oswald E. 0.9 (What exactly IS this? I'm guessing it is the efficiency factor, but like I said, I'm new to this side of things)
Speed 225 MPH
Altitude 1000 ft
Net weight of 640 Lbs (319 empty+321 load)
Angle of attack 2 deg (Is this the same as angle of incidence?)
The reynolds # was taken from the flight velocity
Ran the whole lot thru the wind tunnel, and got an interesting set of result, the most astonishing was the lift force of 4014.6 Lbs!!!
I'm not sure how this works yet, so I hope someone here can clear it up for me, but that seems like a awfully large amount of lift for a craft that is only designed to weigh 640Lbs fully loaded!
Incidentally, the stall speed generated of 42.3 MPH came VERY close to the initially calculated stall speed from AirplanePDQ of 41.5MPH
Like I said I am still in the experimental stage of the design, and I am learning the capabilities and limitations of the tools at my disposal.
This is all a learnig curve for me, as it is a FAR cry form knocking up a quick R/C model over a weekend, and it is sooo much more challenging than putting together a prefab plane. (not that I didn't enjoy that experience immensly:D)
Any input is greatly appreciated
Thanx
Pete.

Attachments

• x-102 wing.jpg
    x-102 wing.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 298
Back