Quantcast

Wing fuselage joint ply laying in mold

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

opcod

Hi

I wonder about the way to do a proper layup into the wing/fuselage junction of a mold. Just like this picture of the Perlan project.
perlan side.jpg
Is just applying some small 1inch tape all around in 0-90-45+45 can do the trick... And after those backing, we put the main fiber layer and cut it in some place to help it conform. ?

Or we just lay our 4 layer ply, put some talck spray on the tight corner, try to push it the best we can and apply vacuum ?

Thanks for advised

wizzardworks

Opcod, The thing to remember is that this is on the inside of the plane. The outside which is against the mould will be as fair as the mould. I would fit a layer of BID into the wing box with a lap over the edge of about 1-1/2". Then put a layer on the rest of the mould cut out 1-1/2" inside the wing box shape leaving a 3" lap. Then the second layer in the wingbox .........to the last layer of the main area. The plys will be at different orientations and I would have the same orientation on the wing box and fuselage side, and keep in mind the same number of layers on the torsion plies. The spar box will also tie to this area so it is structurally loaded.
wizzardworks