Wing Fabric type of installation

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Tim Washburn, Sep 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 19, 2019 #1

Tim Washburn

Tim Washburn

Tim Washburn

Hi all...I am restoring an old Flight Mirage Ultralight and need to replace all the fabric (sails?) Two issues...One is I'm assuming the original fabric is Dacron??? The original is two colors and I can' seem to find anything but white. Second...the fabric is not glued in place, the frame pieces run through sewn in pockets in the fabric then I guess was heat shrink into place. I can't find any info on this type of installation. The wing fabric is sort of like a big sock that was pulled over the aluminum frame then heat shrunk into place. THANKS

2. Sep 19, 2019 #2

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

Most ultralights like that used sewn sails that were not heat shrunk. You would slip the tubes through the sleeves and the tension comes from assembly. Aircraft Spruce still provides sails for some of the more common ultralights, dunno about yours. If you have the original undamaged sails they might be able to be duplicated.

3. Sep 19, 2019 #3

thump

thump

thump

4. Sep 19, 2019 #4

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

There's also someone in Midland, MI that will make sails for any ultralight.