• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing design for lightest possible wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

If I wanted to build the lightest possible wing, how would it be constructed? For my sake, I'm thinking about a strut-braced wing, a la Luscombe 8 or Cessna 152.

I'm thinking that the spars would be according to Jim Marske's designs: composite web or sandwich web, with the caps being made from carbon rods. I assume I'd want to use carbon fiber as the wrap or does it have qualities that would make fiberglass better? If carbon fiber's properties are okay, then obviously it would be lighter. I believe that if the spar won't be flexing much, then the carbon fiber would be okay.

Then, the rest. I'm guessing that an old fashioned design (e.g., all-aluminum wing with few ribs, as on a later Luscombe) would not be the lightest. So, how about spruce ribs and covered in fabric? How about panels of carbon fiber sandwich? I think I would need ribs only at the ends of panels if I used carbon fiber sandwich panels.

Other designs that would be lighter?

From what I've read before (probably on here some), I believe that not overbuilding the wing might be one of the most important aspects to focus on.

By the way, how about a fuel tank at the inboard section? I was thinking of just molding in a fiberglass or carbon fiber compartment.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
Back