• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing construction aft of the spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User27

In the XPS bonding thread there has been some interesting discussion about the pros and cons of various types of wing construction.
My interested is a single seat aircraft with a max empty weight of around 200kg (440lb) and a max speed in the 120 - 140kt range.
Initial weight estimates say the structure should be around 100kg maximum.
I have a tapered wing with a parallel chord centre section, taper ratio around 0.5. Wing area around 75sq ft or 7m^2.
One suggestion that appeals to me is to use rigid foam D box covered in glass or carbon with the spar built into the aft edge.
The question then becomes what is the lightest method to construct the wing aft of the spar that can be constructed in my garage in minimum time at reasonable cost?
The overall lightest is probably a carbon sandwich skins (say 6 or 8mm foam) in a female mould, but that is expensive. Probably too expensive and time consuming for a one-off.
The "classic" method is probably stick ribs with fabric covering, I would like to avoid fabric covering if I can just because it always seems to be a lot of work to finish.
Some aircraft use plywood covering of stick ribs. If 3/32" of 1/16" ply is used the weight (around 0.2lb/sq ft, 2.4 kg/m^2).
If that is good is plywood over 1" thick foam ribs better? The foam ribs could be built much more quickly.
Does anyone have any views on plywood over foam construction?

Back