• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing attachment fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientAviation

Greetings all...
The job this week is to drill then ream the ali wing attachment fittings - and then secure them to the inner and outer spars with the right dihedral built in.

The wing joint is made up of 8x pairs of 2 ali bars - 4 on the outer spar (top, bottom, front & back) and 4 on the inner spar.

The plans essentially say glue the fitting to the spar. No mention of painting or treating the fittings.
Also, it is not clear if the 2 fittings should be glued together and then the whole unit glued to the spar or if only the ali fitting that touches the spar should be glued to help secure it and block out the moisture.
I like the idea of gluing the two fittings together first as it could then help with drilling and reaming a consistent hole placement through both...

I have some primer and Duralac anti corrosive jointing compound but not sure if they are needed.

A local inspector I spoke to on the phone was horrified that I would consider gluing the metal fitting to the wood and wasn't sure why there would be 2 as opposed to 1 beefy fitting....

(as an aside, the plans do say attach the fittings then drill them but if I mess the drilling / reaming process up it can be an expensive mistake...prefer to predrill then glue them)

So.... Any words of wisdom on best practice / sensible way of dealing with this would be welcome thank you....

Attachments

• spar end.jpg
    spar end.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back