• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Attach Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking at a set of Davis DA-5 plans and had a question about his method of attaching the wings. The DA-5 uses a one piece wing with a continuous 2024 angle forming the top and bottom spar caps. The wing connects to the fuselage via aluminum angles mounted to each side of the fuselage which the spar then bolts to. I've added a picture for clarity. You can see the spar running across the bottom of that fuselage frame in the bottom of the photo.

My question is- what loads are the center section of that spar seeing and how does that affect the way the wings are attached to the fuselage? My understanding is that if there were just a single pin on each side the center section would see a large bending load in addition to the normal compression and tensile loads. As it's drawn on the plans would the spar not want to flex the aluminum angle it's attached to as the wing flexes?
View attachment DA5 Wing Attach.pdf

Back