• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeeclipper

After a bit of research and playing around with various tools, I find myself just a little confused about wing area. Assuming the following:

-1150 lbs TOW
-.75 Oswald
-23012 airfoil (12% thickness)

it looks to me and FoilSim like a measly 105 ft sq at 2.5 degrees angle of attack are plenty for reasonably short take-off's and even for a well-flapped 50mph landing. But most light aircraft matching the above description end up being invariably close to 130 sq ft. Clearly I'm missing some important factors. Any thoughts on what they might be?

Back