• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

windshield material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion

R.I.P.
Just a general question here - assuming price is not so much an issue, what is the better windshield material, Acrylic (Plexiglass) or Polycarbonate? I know the latter is more expensive but is far stronger, more scratch resistant and more impact resistant than the Acrylic, but that's about where my information ends.

I'm more concerned about things like formability and any tendencies to crack from fasteners. My forming tools and general procedures are pretty much set - now I just need to make the material decision based on these more secondary issues. The windscreen for this particular project is 1/2" thick so I don't want to make too many mistakes in the forming, installation and such, since that can get a bit on the pricey side in the long run.

Back