Windows 10???

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Aerowerx, Oct 2, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 10, 2015 #61

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

And I used an IBM System 360 in the mid-seventies. With punch cards. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81, for which I wrote a little assembly code in addition to its native BASIC. I've programmed a VAX in FORTRAN. Until the last couple of desktop machines, I have always built my own from scratch. Today, there's no financial gain in doing so.

There. Have we each established our "geek cred"?

Not exactly what purpose that serves, when my original point still stands. This is not the place for OS Holy Wars.

RPM314 likes this.
  2. Nov 10, 2015 #62
    You're right, of course. Any sort of controller for aviation on which your life depended - i.e. fly by wire - I would want 3 different custom real-time systems. Running on 3 different types of hardened RISC processors. I would consider triple redundancy to be the absolute minimum. (I believe Russian military aircraft use quintupal systems.) I don't know what programming languages they would use (different for each processor) but I'm pretty sure none of them would be c++ (my best language) to program it either - way out of my class.
    Definitely not a job for *any* off the shelf system.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #63

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Interesting tidbit; the only airplane with a flight-critical customer OS runs on a basic Linux core.

I've recently moved to Win10 (plus an SSD). It's a really good OS. I still prefer Linux, but since I have to use it for some software (Excel, CAD, CFD), Windows is my daily OS. While some past OS-es from MS were truly lacking, Win10 is pretty much flawless. Good interface, works fast and fluent. No driver issues.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  4. Nov 17, 2015 #64

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Midniteoyl likes this.
  5. Nov 17, 2015 #65

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

I was running crouton xfce4 until I crashed my computer.

into the concrete, maybe it needed wings. Upgrade time! :ban:

6. Nov 17, 2015 #66

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Why doesn't the Settings app on my Win10 work? I can click on it and I get a brief flash of a frame that instantly disappears.

7. Nov 17, 2015 #67

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

8. Nov 17, 2015 #68

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

One of my old cars had Windows 23. :gig:

23-Window-Sunroof-Deluxe-Microbus.jpg

9. Nov 17, 2015 #69

clanon

clanon

clanon

"Far out ,man...far out"

bmcj and Topaz like this.
  10. May 24, 2016 #70

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

Since there was some discussion here about Windows 10 a while back, now that its been out a while.....what are the latest opinions ?

I inadvertently somehow got it started loading after I had told the pop-ups "NO" about a few hundred times. Guess I hit YES by mistake,

so for whatever its worth I now have Windows 10. So far it's seems OK but it did obsolete my small Canon printer. Driver no longer

available supported in 10. Was told some other drivers might work but since a small printer is cheap, I just bought a replacement.

When I was trying to figure out my initial problem, I called customer service at Canon. What a pleasant surprise. Not only was I able

to talk to people who I could understand, I found out their customer service for the USA is actually based in the USA, and staffed with

people who I not only had no trouble understanding, but they were very courteous. What a novel idea, customer service people who

you can understand. While I don't have anything against people who speak with an accent, I do think that whatever language someone

speaks,thats the country they should provide service in. Customer service reps should have a basic requirement of being easily understood.

I say this after having spent about 16 to 18 hours one time (over a 3 day period) trying to resolve a computer problem. I had a router and a

modem that wouldn't talk to each other. After buying several different brands, I went and bought a single unit that was both a Modem and a

Router all in one. Guess what, it still wouldn't talk to itself! I even went and bought a whole new computer and that didn't work.

Talk about frustrated. Turns out that my service provider had changed some input code and once I got the right code everything began to work.

Even my old computer and old router and modem worked . All those phone calls and all that talking and no one could get it to work till I luckily

talked to the right service rep for my cable provider. So, I'm putting a plug in here for Canon....I appreciate how they treat customers. :) and I

just bought a new Canon printer because of that reason.

Note: The driver is no longer supported by Microsoft, so Canon CAN'T make a compatible driver.

11. May 24, 2016 #71

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Use XP x32 for as long as you can; after that, Windows 7 x64. Just say no to 8,9, and 10... unless they came pre-installed on your tablet or new computer. I myself would probably reformat them and go back to Win 7, but probably too much of a hassle for the lay person. I'd still be using XP if Sun didn't end finally end Java support for it, like a bunch of wankers that they are. XP x32 is *fast* on new hardware. Everything after it short of Android is a dog by comparison. When XP first came out though, it was a bloated dog itself compared to earlier versions of Windows.

As far as Chrome goes, speedwise, it is the fastest, along with x64 versions of Mozilla. *However*, it comes at massive price. Chrome is a memory pig and harddisk write intensive.

The problem with Chrome is, it will thrash your harddrive to death. You don't realize it with a few windows open... but have 50 open... and it becomes a thrashing nightmare piece of junk. Not good if you're running an SSD, nor if you're running old harddrives that have already have the life beated out of them.

The x64 versions of Firefox/Mozilla (Waterfox/Cyberfox/etc) are as fast as Chrome for a few windows open, without the thrashing... *however*.... they soon bog down the more windows you open in one process.

Best solution and what I use is Firefox x32, running multiple (like 30) profiles using the "-P -no-remote" switch in the Shortcut "Target" box... "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P -no-remote

You can open hundreds of browser windows that way. The problem with Firefox x32, is it tends to crash sometimes while playing video.. which may be the hardware acceleration on my video card, or that I'm running a janky motherboard that the monkey before me fried up a bit. Not a problem much, you just open videos in a new instance of Firefox.

Like I always use to say, and you can quote me on this, Internet Exporer is an awesome browser. I love it. Its great for downloading any other browser right after a fresh install of Windows. Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, whatever you want. After that, you can disable IE.

12. May 24, 2016 #72

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

The Win8/8.1 or even Win7 drivers should work for your Canon.

As for 'accidentally upgrading': No.. No you didnt. MS has seen fit to make the 'No' button as well as the 'X (to close)' button into "D/L and install Win 10 on reboot" buttons.. Microsoft’s latest trick: Clicking ‘X’ to dismiss Windows 10 upgrade doesn’t stop install | ExtremeTech ... so that isnt your fault.

As for Firefox bogging down with many tabs open: That hasnt happened in the last 2 or 3 Firefox updates, and it runs just fine under Win 10, so that is a moot point.

As for the 'telemetry' in Win 10 people seem to be concerned about: 99% of these people are also ones that use an Android (Google) phone, or Apple phone, both of which collect and share waayyy more data about you than MS ever will. So again, moot point.. not to mention hypocritical.

bmcj likes this.
  13. May 24, 2016 #73

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

I just read that one of the reasons MS wants everyone to move to W10 so badly is because they don't want to have to support a couple of zombie OSs like they did with XP for so long. Why don't they just say so? I clicked the x and it just installed W10 w/o my explicit permission, but I did get a Decline option at the end and the dialogue then said "Are you sure? Because this will take a little while to put back the way it was..." Tweakers!

I will either cave and upgrade - but if I get more of this inefficient waffling from one corporate direction to another (how long till we are herded into W13?) then move to Linux or something, or I may just avoid any inevitable future infuriosities and go straight to something else. For now I have uninstalled the two KB####### updates (do a search on "I don't want Windows 10") and hopefully they won't get reinstalled too often...

14. May 24, 2016 #74

BJC

BJC

BJC

I had two computers die at almost the same time. I bit the bullet and bought a machine with Windows 10. I don't really like it, but I am getting by for my somewhat limited uses.

Anyway, I'm telling you this so you will know that my recent nonsensical posts were caused by Windows 10, and I should not be held accountable for them.

BJC

bmcj and Autodidact like this.
  15. May 24, 2016 #75

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

So were mine and I don't even have it! :D

BJC and bmcj like this.
  16. May 24, 2016 #76

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

How far back does "recent" go ? :) (Just kiddin)

BJC likes this.
  17. May 24, 2016 #77

BJC

BJC

BJC

Hey .. That's my explanation, and I am going to ride it as far as it will go ...

BJC

ekimneirbo likes this.
  18. May 25, 2016 #78

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

So, I gave up. Shortly after I uninstalled the GWX apps, Google earth stopped working, so I slowly shuffled towards the subterranean entrance with the other Eloi and then everything went dark (dark blue...) and when I woke up, W10 was installed and all of my files were exactly where I left them, and sure enough Google earth started working just fine like I "knew" it probably would - welcome to the Farm...

bmcj and ekimneirbo like this.
  19. May 25, 2016 #79

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Got another one... Muahahahaha!

[​IMG]

SVSUSteve, bmcj and ekimneirbo like this.
  20. May 25, 2016 #80