Windows 10???

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Aerowerx, Oct 2, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2015 #41

TahoeTim

TahoeTim

TahoeTim

Using 10 on my work pc and my laptop with no issues. I'm not tracking with hard drive data loss discussions here. It's 2015 and it's all in the cloud! I run my entire business in the cloud and shut off the server. I'm an old dog but I slowly embraced it. Quick Books online, google apps, itunes, and a cloud based scheduling tool. The real benefit is that I can access everything from any internet device anywhere. I can create a spreadsheet or letter and share it in the shared folder for everyone to use. No more paper.

The OS is irrelevant to the tasks as long as you have a browser! I have two internet feeds to the building with a hotspot option from any cell phone as a third option. If you think you can exist without the net, I challenge you to unplug it and try to function for a day.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  2. Oct 5, 2015 #42

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

WiFi_basic_human_needs_ss.jpg

3. Oct 5, 2015 #43

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

I'm of the all-connected generation. Yet being offline for a few days till a full week is not the least of an issue.

Work-wise that's different of course, but even there (been there, done that), being offline for a day or two there's still plenty of work left ;-)

4. Oct 13, 2015 #44

4trade

4trade

4trade

You need to delete windows update kb3035583 to make it disappear.

clanon likes this.
  5. Oct 13, 2015 #45

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I have had two HP computers die in the past three weeks. One was running Vista, the other Windows 7.

Bought a new PC, figured that I may as well go with the latest, so I got one with Windows 10.

VERY DIFFERENT.

It has everything needed to play games, use social media, shop, look for long-lost friends, be fed news selected by progressives, see the weather, have your every move tracked, buy any app. ... you get the idea.

The email application is a POS. Have to buy an app if you want a decent one. They steer you to leasing their new office suite, but if you are persistent, you can find where to buy it.

I dealt professionally with new technology for a long time, and I enjoy learning about and applying new technology to create unique solutions for problems. Windows 10 is not about new technology. It is about monitoring your actions, and selling information to marketers, and, perhaps, the NSA or some other clandestine organization.

But it is likely soon to be all that is available from Windows.

BJC

6. Oct 13, 2015 #46

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

:roll:

7. Oct 13, 2015 #47

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Hello, Gmail! Free, free, free!

There are ways to shut off everything except the basic crash-reporting telemetry that's been present since XP. I posted a link to an article that tells you how to do that earlier in this thread. I'll grant that the switches described in that article should be "off" by default, but they aren't. You can accept that you'll have to go turn them off, or go use Linux or OSX.

If you don't want to be tracked by anyone, and your information used to send you more-relevant ads, and have someone make money off of that (which you don't have to pay), then you basically have to go to some pretty extreme measures on any OS, including Vista, Win7, and even XP for heaven's sake. This is nothing new. What's new is that this is now "opt-out" in the operating system. I agree that that's wrong, and that it needs to be fixed. Until it is, you either choose to take charge of your devices with settings and other means of controlling the information flow, or simply disconnect from the Internet altogether.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  8. Oct 13, 2015 #48

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Ain't that the truth! That POS mail app started with Windows 8. We bought Outlook, but could never get it to work right on W8... set it up, use it during that session fine, but leave the computer for awhile and come back to it and you have to delete the Outlook account settings and set up a new one each time before it will connect.

9. Oct 13, 2015 #49

BJC

BJC

BJC

I know. Doesn't mean that I like it.

BJC

10. Oct 13, 2015 #50

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

On the other hand...
    Public.jpg
    To play devil's advocate, even the NSA lackeys working on their groundbreaking tinfoil-hat-penetrating brain probes will have their info available to the powers that be, if win10 spyware becomes ubiquitous.

11. Oct 13, 2015 #51

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

That's a bit much, don't you think?

Midniteoyl likes this.
  12. Oct 14, 2015 #52

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

Anything involving Syndrome is.

13. Oct 14, 2015 #53

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Syndrome_Incredibles_h1.jpg

Eh???

14. Nov 10, 2015 #54

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

You have something like 30days to revert back to Win8/Win7 if you dont like Win10.. It doesnt simply over write the old OS like anymore..

bmcj likes this.
  15. Nov 10, 2015 #55

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I'm going back to Linux as soon as I get my new computer. Ubuntu. I love it and hate windows. I don't own a smart phone or any of that other electrojunk... kinda old school, a flip phone with a one inch screen. And that is going as my next new years resolution (into the same lake I threw my Blackberry) Intrusive, unnecessary junk. IMHO

don january likes this.
  16. Nov 10, 2015 #56
    The real question is whether the system really does stop spying when you tell it to. Considering Microsoft's previous record I very much doubt it.

17. Nov 10, 2015 #57

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

>sigh< And another Internet rumor begins. Show me one shred of evidence that it doesn't stop. We know you can't turn off crash reporting, but that's been in Windows since XP. All the other stuff has well-defined switches. If you've got actual evidence that those switches don't do what they say they do, please present it.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  18. Nov 10, 2015 #58
    Is Forbes.com good enough for you? Forbes Welcome. Sorry, the button bar is not showing up today so I have to give the link raw.

19. Nov 10, 2015 #59

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

I trust tech sources more than financial ones, when talking about technology. And Forbes has never done well with tech. Again, I'll point you to the link I posted earlier in this thread. My first post, I believe.

Look, I know you hate Windows with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. You've made that abundantly clear. I have to use it, rather like using it, have used it since Windows 3.0, and you're not going to change my mind. The "Year of Linux on the Desktop" isn't 2015, it's not going to be 2016, 2017, 2018 or any other time in the foreseeable future. 98% of the world disagrees with you in terms of desktop OS choice. I'm sorry that chafes so much, but coming up with conspiracy theories as a rhetorical device isn't the way to get people to convert over to Linux. It's not going to happen.

This thread is about people asking about differences in experience between Win7/Win8 and Win10. I probably shouldn't have let it continue in the first place, here on HomebuiltAirplanes.com. If you don't like Windows, don't pay attention to this thread. It's not your job to convert us all over with scary stories that just aren't true. HBA isn't the place for the OS Holy Wars. Leave it alone. Please.

20. Nov 10, 2015 #60
    Computer security is part of my job. I started on mainframes long before microprocessors came along.
    Tablets & Smart Phones are the big market today & MS has less than 2.5% of that.