Windows 10???

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Aerowerx, Oct 2, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 2, 2015 #1

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Not sure which forum to put this in, so I put it here...

I have had enough problems with Windows 7 and IE on HBA, which is why I switched to Chrome (but still have a few problems).

Has anyone here used Windows 10? Any problems?

2. Oct 2, 2015 #2

goldrush

goldrush

goldrush

I use Win 10 and as always..ditch the Microsoft browsers...in this case Edge ... although Edge does seems to work ok on HBA.
    Firefox and Chrome both appear ok on 10.

3. Oct 2, 2015 #3

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I don't know much about Windows 10, but I suspect it uses the same browser tech that Windows 7 and 8 do. If I interpret the sneak peaks of Windows 10 correctly, the biggest change is to bring the interface experience back toward the Windows 7 style because Windows 8 went (in my opinion) a little too far toward the mobile tablet interface and was difficult for those who were more accustomed to the traditional PC interface.

I suspect that Windows 10 will look like a blending of Windows 7 and Windows 8. As always, I sure it will carry some security upgrades too.

4. Oct 2, 2015 #4
    From what I hear, Windoze 10 is an even bigger disaster area than Windoze 8. Apart from anything else, it will, by default, give your WIFI password to everybody on any of your contact lists!

5. Oct 2, 2015 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I've been running Win10 since a few weeks after it was released. The "new" UI pushes the Win8 visual design even farther, with the sole exception that the "Start Screen" is now been shrunken back to a "Start Menu". There are still tiles there, but some of the old Win7 start menu features have returned, in the form of the recently-used programs list. Otherwise, the UI is flat, flat, flat. If you were hoping that MS would somehow swing back to the Aero UI design, give it up. They're going in the other direction. The biggest change is the task bar - it's now a solid black, partially transparent bar all along the bottom of the screen. I like it, myself.

Other things to note: "Modern" (that is to say, "Metro", before MS lost the right to use that word) programs now run in windows, rather than full-screen. You have more screen-splitting options for full-screen programs. The fly-out "charms bar" in Windows 8 is completely gone, as are the "hot corners". Control Panel is now a Modern app, completely replacing the version we've known since Win95.

The new brower - Edge - is a ground-up fresh write. It isn't a derivation of Internet Explorer. I'm a Chrome user so I've only explored it a little bit. Seems nice. Nothing compelling to make me switch back, though.

The new update model for Windows follows that of Chrome, Firefox, and so on: Many small updates replacing infrequent major ones. Supposedly, the only time you'll pay for Windows again is when you buy or build a new machine. Along with the "mostly free" model for us comes a new model for Microsoft: Data mining. Windows 10 sends more information about you and what you do with your computer back to Microsoft than ever before. Here's more information, and how to disable most of the problematic functions: Windows 10 doesn

When the OS first released, it was still a little twitchy. I had a few crashes. As patches rolled out, system stability has improved markedly, to where I'd say it's almost on par with Win7 or Win8.

As for in which forum this thread belongs, the short answer is "none of them". HBA is about homebuilt airplanes. I know we've all developed some great friendships here, and you ask people you know and trust about things like this, but Jake has asked that all posts on HBA remain at least nominally about aviation, even in Hangar Flying. No, I don't think we need to shut this thread down, delete it, or anything like that. But let's keep the discussion short and sweet, and move on. Thanks.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  6. Oct 2, 2015 #6

BJC

BJC

BJC

Anyone using Windows 10 on a laptop as an EFIS?

BJC

7. Oct 2, 2015 #7

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

No, it doesn't. Lord.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  8. Oct 2, 2015 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Sounds like I've seriously misinterpreted the promotional ad... I thought it was a bit of a move (from Windows 8) back toward the old Windows.

Thanks for the explanation Topaz.

9. Oct 2, 2015 #9

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

And I heard on the interweb it will give you cancer and you can only get the cure by buying an app from Microsoft....

Internet is wonderful for spreading these kinds of rumours. Anybody on facebook seen the recent uproar how FB was going to give out all your private details unless you paid them to opt out?

My old computer (Windows 7) greeted me with the message "Hard drive failure imminent" a couple of weeks ago. I ended up buying a new computer that came with Windows 10. So far it runs just fine. Takes a little while to find some things again, but other than that. no problems.

Midniteoyl, Topaz and bmcj like this.
  10. Oct 2, 2015 #10

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

I've been using it basically since the release, I upgraded straight from win7. It does all the stuff 7 does plus some extras, and it gets rid of some of the bad points.

It's all the same formats as win7 for the task bar, start menu, file directory, etc. but with a cleaner look, and everything runs a little faster. The task view feature is nice, I mapped my mouse wheel clicker to that function so I can switch between programs really really fast. The start menu does have tiles, but they don't clutter it up and you can ignore them. File explorer has a list of recent items when you start it, which shows what you came to find most of the time. Cortana is super cool even though I don't end up using it a lot, but the text box works like the Chrome Omnibox but for the computer system (and searches are routed through Edge and Bing by default: to fix set Chrome as the default browser and download the Chrometana extension to Chrome). Bundling 'my computer' and 'control panel' etc. functions into one big 'Settings' is a good idea too. Bottom line, it has a bunch of neat new things but I've never had a time when I said "man, win7 would be so much better at doing this".

But the big thing to note about win10 is that it's intended to be a universal OS. Same with the new universal apps like 'Photos' and 'Videos' that replaced 'windows media viewer' ; at first I thought they were just sleeker remakes but they're really designed to run on any device. Windows is planning to make ALL their devices powered by win10 in the future, PC's, tablets, phones, even the hololens. I'd definitely recommend upgrading while it's still free because an OS like that brings us one step closer to Star Trek.

Midniteoyl and bmcj like this.
  11. Oct 2, 2015 #11

Workhorse

Workhorse

Workhorse

PTAirco perhaps this could give that computer a second life.

12. Oct 3, 2015 #12

thump

thump

thump

What is this windows thing you speak of ;)

bmcj and clanon like this.
  13. Oct 3, 2015 #13

clanon

clanon

clanon

XP SP3 running STRONG here!

PS: You could also use the Chrome portable from Portableapps (harder to infect from the net and faster)Windows 9 also works fine:roll:

bmcj likes this.
  14. Oct 3, 2015 #14

BJC

BJC

BJC

Windows are portals through which unwanted people invade your activities.

BJC

clanon likes this.
  15. Oct 3, 2015 #15

skier

skier

skier

Been using windows 10 since just after it was released. Haven't had any issues. Runs Adobe CS6 fine and any other software packages I've tried (haven't tried anything larger or more powerful than adobe). Takes a bit to get used to, but is lightyears better than windows 8. That was probably worse than Vista and ME combined.

16. Oct 3, 2015 #16

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila

Installed it on wife's computer a few weeks ago (it was windows 7) and she seems to like it after getting used to it. She only does Facebook & some games. I have been holding back on mine for awhile as mine has Windows 8 on it. It is downloaded but not installed yet. With the comment in the last post, I may give it more thought. I have Mozilla Firefox installed on both computers as a browser.

Fred

17. Oct 3, 2015 #17

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I'm going back to UBUNTU (Linux) as soon as my son (was a computer expert in the Army) can re-install it for me... I had it for awhile but messed it up with anew internet service. It is GREAT!!!! I really miss it and can't stand any windows.

18. Oct 3, 2015 #18

TinBender

TinBender

TinBender

If you have a program that you paid money for, or need working, be careful updating. For instance, SolidWorks 2014 is not supported. If you have a program that you did not pay money for, be careful updating, as well.;)

19. Oct 3, 2015 #19

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I'm sticking with 7. Microsoft has been pulling too many sketchy things in 10 without being open to users about them, and giving you no way out (Forbes Welcome).

I've disabled this in 7: Forbes Welcome

20. Oct 3, 2015 #20

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

There is some software that doesn't do Linux, but apart from that... same. It's just that I really need MS Office (nothing wrong with Libreoffice, it's just not 100% compatible) and SW.

For those not terribly computer-savvy, but still interested in Linux, give CAElinux a try. Basic linux version, with all the open source engineering software you possibly want to run already installed.

http://caelinux.com/CMS/

rbrochey and thump like this.