Wind mills

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PiperCruisin

Maybe you can work with the utility to minimize the impact to your pattern. They would probably like to avoid a fight and bad press by making a few concessions and that would protect the airstrip from future objections (they go both ways). That is why you want golf courses and industrial sites around airports and not houses.

Lucrum

Log Member
Hey, here's an idea!;)

During times of low demand run the wind turbines in reverse using the excess power from the coal plants. They would generate more wind which can be used during the peak demand periods.:roll:
and if located near an airport they could reduce take off ground runs.....
:)

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Actually, they do run the turbines in reverse sometimes near highways so folks will think they are working more than they normally do.
Which is 35% of the time, on average.
At least if you have turbines near your airport you probably won't get a subdivision.

pictsidhe

Burning a cubic mile of oil releases 12 x 10^9 tons of CO2 into the air. That is 0.3% of the total CO2 currently in the air, per year. Hardly an insignificant amount. While we are burning oil, we are also clearing huge areas of forest, one of natures carbon sinks.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Actually, they do run the turbines in reverse sometimes near highways so folks will think they are working more than they normally do...
When I visited the wind farm at Tehachapi, the engineer guiding our tour said some turbines could be driven like fans, but only at some ungodly slow speed. I seem to recall that they used that feature to position blades for maintenance or inspections. I know that there are a couple of conspiracy theory websites that say that wind turbines can be powered to create the illusion of productivity, but I've yet to see a reputable citation for that assertion.

https://www.quora.com/Can-wind-turbines-be-driven-in-reverse-as-fans

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
They just turn really slow, about twice the speed of a clock second hand.
Watched em many times turning very slow here and Minnesota.
They might power them up to get them aligned with the wind. I don't know, could be a myth.
I think ALL energy sources are needed including wind. But some of it doesn't make good sense.

Aerowerx

I used to work with a guy that moonlighted installing backup generators (residential use).

We got talking about alternative power sources and came up with a wild guesstimate that solar is only about 50% efficient. That is, if your house needs 20kw you would need at least a 40kw solar array, assuming your energy storage is 100% efficient. We based this on an estimate of the number of hours of daylight, clouds, etc.

Pops

Log Member
I thank you all for the advice and council and some entertainment. I finished filling out the form to register my strip today. So I will see if it makes some kind of positive effect.
We registered our grass strip after about 10 years of use. They were expanding cell phone towers in our direction and on downwind you are over the highest peak in the area and sure didn't want a cell tower there. It went on the top of a hill on the other side of the river about 2 miles away.

FritzW

Log Member
Anti wind turbine lobbies are huge!
They are full of NIMBY propaganda and video of the only wind turbine that ever caught fire!
It's comforting to hear that only one wind turbine has ever caught fire (picture 3 shows two burning at the same time) I think wind turbine propaganda goes both ways :gig:

images.jpeg images2.jpeg images3.jpeg

images4.jpeg images12.jpeg images13.jpeg

images7.jpeg images10.jpeg images11.jpeg

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
Joe: I hope you get a positive result in the saving of your strip. As in Kansas in the last few years the wind mills have changed the entire horizon within a 100 mile radius of our home. They have gotten so many that even as a game being played with your children you can't see and count the numbers spinning in the wind. It has became extremely dangerous for the aerial applicators to get in and out of the fields. and sure took a lot of the joy out of the low and slow flights. Good luck on the paper work.

lr27

I used to work with a guy that moonlighted installing backup generators (residential use).

We got talking about alternative power sources and came up with a wild guesstimate that solar is only about 50% efficient. That is, if your house needs 20kw you would need at least a 40kw solar array, assuming your energy storage is 100% efficient. We based this on an estimate of the number of hours of daylight, clouds, etc.
That sounds a bit bogus to me. Just looked at an electric bill. Depending on the time of year, our house uses 10 to 25 kWh daily. In other words, we average around 400 to 1,000 watts. I know someone who covered most of the south facing part of his roof with solar panels. I can't remember if he averages zero use or if his bills are just way down. I suppose people who are further south might use more in the summer, but they get more sun as well.

------------------
FritzW:
Are you saying that wind turbines catch fire more often? I seriously doubt it! It's easy to find conventional power plant fire pics on the web. I even ran across a big one at a hydroelectric plant! Some of these fires make the ones in your pictures look like matches. However, it seems that transformers and such are more often the cause. I've heard a small transformer on a pole go off from a few hundred yards away. Really gets your attention! I don't think it caught fire, but sometimes they do. Anyway, avoiding a new power source because it isn't perfectly safe doesn't make sense if it's safer than what you have now.

Good luck, Joe.