Williams Jet

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Jman, Jan 7, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 7, 2003 #1

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

I noticed a post over at the Canard Community about the Williams EJ-22 jet engine. It's the one that will power the Eclipse 500 air taxi corporate jet. Apparently this engine will eventually become available to the rest of us. According to Kitplanes it weighs 85lbs and will put out 770lbs of thrust. Personally it makes me wonder what type of project I'll be working on in 2025. So, anyone think power plants such as the EJ-22 will become main stream?

Attached Files:

2. Jan 17, 2003 #2

Dave

Dave

Dave

But the real issue is... How much money? Unless its affordable, its just another thing for us mainstream aviators to have fantasies about. Turbines are great, but they will never catch on till they cost less than your house.

3. Jan 18, 2003 #3

John Slade

John Slade

John Slade

I have it on good authority that there will be a jet powered Cozy at Sun & Fun. Don't have any details on cost.

4. Jan 21, 2003 #4

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

A jet powered Cozy :D (rubs hand together in a feverish fashion)? I CANNOT wait to see that one. Man I love this sport!

I did notice that the deal with Eclipse pretty much fell through. I guess the engine wasn't living up to expectations. It also sounds like it might not make it to the experimental market either :mad: . Oh well, not like I could afford one anyway.

On a lighter note. I noticed that one of our new members is currently working on the design of a replica F-15. I don't have the details but, being that the F-15 is my all time favorite aircraft, my interest is peaked.

Jake

5. Jan 23, 2003 #5

Cy Vanover

Cy Vanover

Cy Vanover

I'm not sure if the EJ22 is going to survive or not. Unfortunately, Eclipse has officially dropped this engine and is looking elsewhere for some alternative. The EJ22 has experienced a lot of problems in development. This and last month's editions of Flying magazine has a lot more information about this development.

Cy

6. Jan 25, 2003 #6

Holden

Holden

Holden

Banned

Al Mills,

Do you have a link to the "flying" mag article on the Ej 22 program? Flying does not have a way to search past articles as far as I could tell.

Do you know of an accurate fuel flow rate on the Williams J22? I have heard 100 gallons per hr (50 each side).

Holden

7. Feb 23, 2003 #7

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Hot off the press

Here is a quote from the Eclipse website: