Williams Jet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jman

Site Developer
I noticed a post over at the Canard Community about the Williams EJ-22 jet engine. It's the one that will power the Eclipse 500 air taxi corporate jet. Apparently this engine will eventually become available to the rest of us. According to Kitplanes it weighs 85lbs and will put out 770lbs of thrust. Personally it makes me wonder what type of project I'll be working on in 2025. So, anyone think power plants such as the EJ-22 will become main stream?

Attachments

Dave

But the real issue is... How much money? Unless its affordable, its just another thing for us mainstream aviators to have fantasies about. Turbines are great, but they will never catch on till they cost less than your house.

Jman

Site Developer
A jet powered Cozy :D (rubs hand together in a feverish fashion)? I CANNOT wait to see that one. Man I love this sport!

I did notice that the deal with Eclipse pretty much fell through. I guess the engine wasn't living up to expectations. It also sounds like it might not make it to the experimental market either :mad: . Oh well, not like I could afford one anyway.

On a lighter note. I noticed that one of our new members is currently working on the design of a replica F-15. I don't have the details but, being that the F-15 is my all time favorite aircraft, my interest is peaked.

Jake

Cy Vanover

I'm not sure if the EJ22 is going to survive or not. Unfortunately, Eclipse has officially dropped this engine and is looking elsewhere for some alternative. The EJ22 has experienced a lot of problems in development. This and last month's editions of Flying magazine has a lot more information about this development.

Cy

Holden

Banned
Al Mills,

Do you have a link to the "flying" mag article on the Ej 22 program? Flying does not have a way to search past articles as far as I could tell.

Do you know of an accurate fuel flow rate on the Williams J22? I have heard 100 gallons per hr (50 each side).

Holden

Jman

Site Developer
Hot off the press

Here is a quote from the Eclipse website:

ALBUQUERQUE, NM — February 19, 2003 — Eclipse Aviation Corporation, manufacturer of the Eclipse 500 jet, today announced an agreement with Pratt & Whitney Canada Corp. (P&WC), a world leader in aviation engines. Configured with P&WC’s PW610F turbofan, the now faster Eclipse 500 jet features a 375-knot cruise speed, improved performance across a wide range of conditions and improved durability in operation.

“We’re very proud to provide the engine for the Eclipse 500,” said Alain M. Bellemare, President, P&WC. “This partnership solidifies our position as a leader in this fast growing segment of the jet market.”

The PW610F, the latest member of the PW600 family of engines, features 900 lbs of takeoff thrust at sea level to ISA +10°C with built-in growth capability and is controlled through a dual-channel FADEC. The PW600F family spans the 900 to 3,000 lb thrust range and is P&WC’s smallest turbofan engine series.