Will spring ever make it to MN this year?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

psween

Walked the whole runway last night. Had a couple of wet spots that will dry out in a day, about a dozen badger holes to fill, grass just starting to come up. Overall, it is in pretty good shape, would be ready to fly today if need be. Of course, now it' supposed to rain/sleet/snow for the next 48 hours, so no flying for a while yet! I usually like spring in MN, but this is ridiculous. It's like mother nature is getting even for last years' early warm spring. Maybe by May the runway will be usable.

Patrick

autoreply

You might find some comfort in knowing that on this side of the pond it's also been miserable. A good deck of snow during easter, while it's supposed to be short-skirt-weather. Ouzo (pictured) sympathises with you ;)

IMAGE_048.jpg

psween

I guess we're paying the price now for the early warm spring we had last year. I lived in Florida and California for quite a few years, and to be honest, I still prefer Minnesota! We like to claim that the weather keeps out most of the riff-raff.

RJW

That seems true. I’ve lived all over the place. The more hospitable the weather, the more trouble you seem to have with people. People in tough climates seem nicer and more concerned with the well being of all. Maybe it’s because they have to care for each other just to stay alive.

We are moving back to Wisconsin after years away. Though I look forward to the culture there I am not looking forward to the weather. It has to be some of the worst anywhere. And only a few weeks of the year show short skirts.:cry:

Rob

JIC

It was 28 above this morning in Idaho. It's suppose to be spring not winter.
I'm ready for the warm weather I'm tired of freezing.

jic

Jim Chuk

I'm up in northern MN, and right now we are getting snow like you wouldn't believe. I still have the skis on the Avid Flyer, hope to use them Saturday after this stuff lets up. I took a couple of pics this afternoon, but they are still in the camera. I have a picture that someone sent me that was taken on April 13 of about 6 or 8 years ago. We had about 32 inches of snow about 20 miles from where I live and that's where this pic was taken. Enjoy! Jim Chuk

Attachments

Southron

AH live in Georgia-what is that white stuff those deer are stuck in? Have never seen it down here!

psween

Jim, I know you guys up north have been getting the worst of it. We got another 1-2 inches last night, but supposed to be 50s this weekend with rain, so it won't last. Luckily my runway is on some really sandy soil, it only takes about 24 hours of dry weather to firm up and be ready to fly. Now to find something to fly!

Patrick

Southron

DANG THAT "GLOBAL WARMING" - If it keeps up much longer, they will be getting Snow Drifts in Key West, Florida!!!!

Jim Chuk

Well I had to get the front end loader out to plow my driveway today. The John Deere with the 2 yard bucket! We got smacked with 20" of snow. Maybe I won't get to fly the skis tomorrow. Take care, Jim

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Reminds me when I was ferrying an airplane out of the middle of Minnesota in Feb. of 92. Had a warm spell of -3 degrees F and 8 feet of snow on the ground. Dan

Jim Chuk

Well we had close to that last night. It got down to a low of +1 F according to the weather info at the Hibbing airport. Jim

Jim Chuk

April 20 and I was able to go for a ski flight today after all. Packed the strip and almost cooked the snowmobile doing it. Snow was sticky and drug hard. Here are a couple of pics I took. Enjoy! Just went through my log book, and I can't see that I flew with skis in April in the last 7 years other than this year. I'll have to drag out my UL logbook to go back before that. Jim

Attachments

Jim Chuk

Hey Patrick, I heard that Rochester got 14" of the white stuff in the last storm. It all went south of us. I actually put the wheels back on the plane yesterday. Jim