Wildfires

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by RPM314, Jun 30, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 30, 2015 #1

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

Will wonders never cease?
    All those people really thought flying there would be a good idea? :tired: Can't imagine what it's like from the full scale pilot's perspectives.

2. Jun 30, 2015 #2

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

There probably was not much thought involved...

RPM314 likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2015 #3

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Just saw a youtube vid of a drone going up through an overcast and flying around on top. There are going to be a lot more of this stuff and its just a matter of time until they start punching through the windshields of real airplanes.

Topaz likes this.
  4. Jul 1, 2015 #4

JamesG

JamesG

JamesG

link?

5. Jul 1, 2015 #5

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

but but but the news story is much more important than fighting the fire and saving people and property isn't it. and if the news drone hits a tanker well hey another weeks worth of news just happened

6. Jul 1, 2015 #6

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

I say just give the tanker crews the go-ahead to dump water on the drones. If you bumble into a war zone, nobody is surprised when you get hit.

7. Jul 1, 2015 #7

Workhorse

Workhorse

Workhorse

Lipo batteries catch fire if punctured or hit hard. Those crafts could start wildfires themselves.

8. Jul 1, 2015 #8

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

Or if overheated, overdischarged, overvolted, or shorted out. It very rarely happens in flight, though (the majority occur on the ground while charging). Especially with all the safeguards in the ESC's, plus whatever else the manufacturer puts in the flight control board.

9. Jul 1, 2015 #9

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

10. Jul 1, 2015 #10

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well, attitudes like this (the comment made by DronePower) are going to get someone killed one of these days.

RPM314 and Topaz like this.
  11. Jul 2, 2015 #11

don january

don january

don january

Maybe soon we will see a gas powered RC car running down the speedway at Taladaga, I'am sure the full scale driver's will hit the wall before hurting one of those little want to be race car's!!! Drone's plane's and fire's just dont mix........

12. Jul 2, 2015 #12

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

your argument is invalid.jpg

13. Jul 2, 2015 #13

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

I think drone pilots (if that's the right word) would see things differently if they took a hop in an area with moderate GA traffic and were asked by the pilot to watch for traffic. It's amazing how traffic can fill up an "infinite" sky. It's also interesting how it can sometimes be difficult to visually spot another aircraft even if you have a TCAS display. Even at 100 mph something the size of a UAV is virtually invisible, especially against ground clutter.

akwrencher likes this.
  14. Jul 2, 2015 #14

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

We're not working in the ENTIRE atmosphere, the concern has always been about drones in controlled airspace (y'know, where there are full scale planes everywhere). Even if the risk of a drone strike in controlled airspace is negligibly small, the risk is cumulative over time and increases with the growing drone population. I do think the problem is smaller (at least for now) than most people believe, but it can't be ignored.

Most hobbyists don't like the term drone, the media started calling the models that to link them to the Predators and Global Hawks over Afghanistan and such, and the name stuck. I've always described them as model aircraft, but "drone" seems to be here to stay. I can't speak for the average Joe who buys an RTF off amazon and goes to fly in a wildfire (but he probably thinks the word 'drone' sounds cool).
    Fixed wings at least have a lot of brightly colored area, but multicopter booms blend into that ground clutter like mad. I've almost lost sight of mine a few times because I flew in front of a tree.

15. Jul 2, 2015 #15

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

I don't care what color they are, they're practically impossible to see until they're too close, even if you have Chuck Yeager eyesight. Flying one in the clouds is no less reckless than flying through clouds in an aircraft without an instrument flight plan, except that the "model" operator is only endangering others and not himself.

16. Jul 2, 2015 #16

don january

don january

don january

Here is an Idea. RC planes and drone's have a frequency that connect the transmiter to the reciever, Channel 48 Ect. What if a pilot can have a insturment that can pick up a signal on a RC and over ride the ground control person? I bet there would be alot less RC entering GA airspace!!

17. Jul 2, 2015 #17

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Too much workload for he fixed wing pilot. I think a simple automated self-destruct signal will work nicely, thank you. :gig:

akwrencher and don january like this.
  18. Jul 2, 2015 #18

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

You are right about color. Once I was doing some air work in winter in Utah and there was a totally black Piper Cub also working out of the same airport. Even against total snow (black on white), it was very difficult to see this plane.

Blue skies,

Tom

19. Jul 2, 2015 #19

RPM314

RPM314

RPM314

Almost all r/c nowadays happens on the 2.4 ghz band, and much of it is digitally coded (a little like bluetooth) to prevent interference between systems. Each Tx/Rx combination will have its own randomly generated cipher operating on at least 2 frequencies for redundancy. The minority uses signal hopping, where the Tx and Rx synchronize themselves jumping between different frequencies in the 2.4 band very rapidly, so any interference only lasts on the order of milliseconds. Then there is the 0.0000001% who still hang on to their giant-antenna 27mhz systems, which you're probably thinking of.
    You would never be able to hijack a drone, at least not in the timescale you would need to for avoidance. But you could pump out a whole bunch of static all over the 2.4 band to cut off control. Once the signal is lost (or jammed in this case) the Rx's go into failsafe mode, which involves either a slow vertical descent (so the copter can land itself blindly) or activation of the return-to-home function, depending on whether the copter has GPS. In RTH mode, a copter will move to a preset altitude and head back to the launch point.
    I like that idea, it puts liability in the right hands. You could get around it by using a different frequency, but then they could just make 2.4 a legal mandate. Any legitimate uses of other frequencies require special equipment, and they could keep track of who has that equipment.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    JamesG and don january like this.
  20. Jul 3, 2015 #20

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Hmm, I think my design is going to grow a jamming pod (think EF-111 or EA-6B).