Why we are here

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

skier

I started on here while getting my degree in aeronautical engineering and have learned a lot from the folks here. I’ve been on and off the forum over the years. Off more than on lately as I realize the low probability of ever design/building or even building my own plane. In my time here, I’ve graduated, been through a number of jobs (mostly in the aerospace industry) and I still check in occasionally.

Some of the highlights on this forum, however, in my opinion are the following: Pops ability to get things done. Orion’s vast knowledge of pretty much anything aircraft design related (this forum still isn’t the same since he passed). Clutton Fred’s insight into the Mignet designs. MadRocketScientists’ Cri Cri build. Wanttaja’s accident statistics. BJC, Topaz, Dana, and the rest of the regulars here are great. I’m sure there’s more That I’m forgetting.

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I've heard criticism on other forums of this site being too many people discussing design but not actually building and there's some truth to that, but the discussion is interesting.
Those other site members aren't building either. That is call assembly. :rolleyes: :D

I'm here to learn how to design, and build, better planes.

Edit:
Interrupted mid post - cat on keyboard.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Basically what Pops said. Design is my primary interest, and there's such a dearth of people interested - and even remotely knowledgeable - in aircraft design out in the "real world" that this place is a godsend for those, like me, that are slowly teaching themselves this process.

When, someday, I transition to building, then I hope I can get tips and knowledge about that from those of you who have "been there, done that," just like I have with design.

Just talking with people that love airplanes and, especially, homebuilts, is something I treasure. I have friends here from all over the world, and in every kind of aviation. You all are my friends, even if we've never met face-to-face. We may not always agree on everything, but what kind of a dull wasteland of a world would it be if we did? ;)

BJC

HBA Supporter
Nothing wrong with assembling from a kit made by someone else.
Nothing wrong with building from someone else’s design.
Nothing wrong with designing by borrowing / learning from other existing designs.
Nothing wrong with buying a spam can.
But if you don’t fly a Pitts, ....

BJC

TarDevil

Ditto what Pops said. All the other bullet points are pleasant by-products.

From my lurking days I was amazed at the knowledge residing here, to the point of being intimidated about posting. I shouldn't be surprised at the willingness to teach ignorant folk like me!

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
ended up here after a google search on "aircraft stress analysis".....It was an Orion post that popped up in the results.....The generosity in time and effort of many others to me when I was first here is/was amazing. The really stupid questions answered.... the resources provided in books, and knowledge.... has allowed me to design and test my Aluminum Dragon leastwise as far as I am at this point....I doubt I ever would have been able to get where I am without that help...

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
I went from signing up and introducing myself to being a lurker...But here I am again!

I would say I'm here mostly to gain knowledge and just read about anything airplane related. As someone else mentioned, the level of knowledge here is intimidating, so it tends to keep me from adding my uneducated opinion most of the time, but also keeps me following the threads.

It also passes the time nicely and keeps me enthusiastic as I wait for my Badland UL kit to be ready for pick-up.

Reactions: BJC

Aviacs

Initial reason was the design conversations looked interesting. Per other comment, yeah, they don't really seem to go anywhere. But it looks like a resource, if i develop the right questions and have an actual project myself.

What started me posting was trying to sell some RV3 parts (canopy), and to try to discover thoughts on using RV3 wings on a Sonerai 2. :)
I thought people here might be more receptive to aerial miscegenation than the dedicated Sonerai site (which i am also on)

I'm a semi-retired pro-woodworker, design and built tools and equipment for myself & others for various tasks some related to woodworking, some metal working (machine shop). Interests i am slouching toward are building an oven to blow a canopy, and far more vague/distant thoughts re VW PSRU or radial.

Truth be told, I'll probably muse more than act for a while, too. :)

smt

Riggerrob

I am a historian, skydiver, parachute rigger, private pilot who is fascinated by airplane design. If I was any good at math, my career would have been designing airplanes, not jumping out of them!
www.homebuiltairplanes.com is one of the rare places where a nerd like me can find intelligent conversion about airplane design.
On the practical side, I have sewn together a couple of parachute kits and jumped them hundreds of times.

Bille Floyd

Not much interest, in motoring around ; i only care about soaring
and want to go to a Light engine, with a folding prop , to replace
the foot-launched thing.

Thought i was gonna use an electric motor ; then the guy's on this
forum , kinda talked me out of that strategy, (for now).

Then i was gonna get this, 15Lb, 27-Hp twin apposed , twin spark German
engine , and make my own PSRU ----------------------------"NOT" ;
not after reading Billski Thread on Torsional vibration.

Bottom line for me being here is :
There's a LOT of information on this forum , from questions already
asked ; and users that are willing to answer things, that the search
function, cant find .

I have Hundreds of hours soaring my current rigid-wing HG, with
thousands of hours on hang gliders over 40 years of flying ; with
the help of this forum, there is no doubt i'll find a good combination of
engine and props and folding landing gears, that will get me away from
foot launching my glider in the near future. My fake-legs don't
work as well as the stock units did ; eventually the foot-launched
thing is gonna get me hurt !

Bille

C Michael Hoover

I started lurking here because I was curious if others were as skeptical of the Raptor as I and I followed a link to the Raptor thread. (My initial skepticism was quickly replaced by horror at the disaster waiting to happen.) I signed up and stayed because of the amazing talent that so willingly gives it's knowledge. I am currently rebuilding a 1970 Bellanca Viking, (frame up, wings done, currently finishing up controls and then on to re-wiring). When that is finished I want to first build something small. I have considered a Fisher, Sonex, Bearhawk (Patrol or LSA) or even a Double Eagle. Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I might convert dreams into reality and design something someday. If I do, it will elliptical wings and empennage.