Why the 'shocking' price of aluminium matters

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

SpruceForest

Seems like these folks either transitioned early to the 'just in case' versus 'just in time' model, or never changed over. Usually in stock on anything I need... to include tubing. Nice folks, and whoever their buyer is does a good job.

geosnooker2000

Next Question. I have looked, but wanted to see if anyone knows more than what I found. Is there an aluminum supply close to Memphis? Like, within 2 to 3 hours drive? Someone way closer than Springfield MO.

geosnooker2000

So I got a response from a local company in Memphis this morning (Ryerson). He quoted me on .125 and .190 4x12 sheets. I responded to him and thanked him for the response, "but please watch this video, and pause it at the 9:20 mark to see what GA EA-B airplanes require." He had told me last Friday on the phone that he's been on the job for about 2 weeks, so I hope he has the gumption to look into sourcing materials they don't normally stock..

Derswede

Just a thought....I have some AL forms which may be of benefit to someone. Was going to take to the scrap place for scrap money, but it is "aircraft AL" according to the manufacturer. Most likely T6061, as I did find that on another piece this company makes. Have used one for gussets and misc. already. Thickness is 4.2mm. These are unused forms made to "board" socks. Gives a sock that "ironed" look. Widest part is 6.5" and that section is 19" long. Total form length is 56". Will take scrap value for these if someone needs such AL for a project. Cheap at that price. Would prefer pickup, but will be heading thru western NC, east TN and north AL soon. Just a thought! Recycle is good.

Derswede

Attachments

• AL Form.jpg
    AL Form.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0