Why so expensive??

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
Well if it was not for all the "labor of love" aviation people out there the prices would be even higher. Probably lots of aircraft suppliers not making a decent living given their skills.

pictsidhe

I'd like to produce 103 kits for a 4 figure sum. It does not look easy. They will still be several times the materials cost.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Ok, I've bought several ultralights brand new over the years(Quicksilvers mainly) and, despite the great engineering that went into them, the cost was FAIR. Not cheap, not outrageous, but fair. And simply because of their relative simplicity they built rather fast. These kits (both Adventura and Searay) aren't too complicated or even use materials any better than a modern ultralight aircraft, boat hull notwithstanding. Dacron skins, bolted together aluminum tubing, engines hanging out back in the breeze...no real difference at all. I honestly do not see why they demand such a huge premium. Again, this isn't saying all kits from all makes are overpriced, not at all, just these two stick in my craw so to speak. It's why I started this thread, to hope someone could explain to me how or why these companies need to overcharge so much. It can't possibly be helping their bushiness. The Adventura has gone through many owners and that really doesn't surprise me at all. Searay is a more advanced version, but it too has jacked the price to match that. If these companies really can't do any better, than so be it. I wasn't interested in them, just sad to see a decent product price itself out of business.
I never thought they were a good value. Caveat Emptor.

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
I never thought they were a good value. Caveat Emptor.
I liked the Quicksilver lineup not for it's value, there were obviously better deals in the ultralight field, but for it's strength and design. Despite many attempts(ahem...)I never bent one ;)

Group Builder