• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why is Fantasy of Flight not having a Flying Flea??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nestofdragons

Supporting Member
I visited Fantasy of Flight three times. Each time i visited Florida. I am amaaaazed by their collection. Kermit Weeks said he wanted to collect airplane that were created before his date of birth (1953). Sometimes he lets his team built a flying replica. Now ...the HM14 dated from 1936 (the good plans). Ok, that plan still has the rotating rear wing (which proved to be good in flight). If he would built one according to that old book of 1936, he would have a very special Flying Flea. I guess it would be the only one flying with a rotating rear wing at this moment. If he would like to create a more modern edition, i would not blame him. It would be more practical.

But ...somehow ...Kermit Weeks, nor his team were interested in the Flying Flea. I have noooo idea why. Is he also only informed about the bad reputation of that airplane?? I consider Kermit Weeks as a guy with guts. He wouldn't else have made that Spirit of St. Louis replica or that Beegee racer replica. Both are flyable ! ! And i guess he really did fly them.

Having a HM14 in his collection would attract new builders. As people always want to see how a very known builders team (the complete team of Kermit Weeks) make it. I guess ...if he made a booklet about how they constructed it, it might be a good selling book in the USA. I am sure the Mignet family would not mind as long as he wouldn't place the plans in the booklet. And if he wanted to place those plans too, i am sure they will come to a agreement that suits both. I am sure both sides are not difficult persons.

Anyway, can anybody who knows him or his team propose this to them? I would help in any possible way i can with needed info if needed. I think i am a too small guy to make a good impression to them to convince them myself. All help is very very very welcome. And i am sure Kermit has the room to store a tiny HM14. Right under the wing of his Sunderland. ;)

IMG_0287.jpgMIGNETBOOK.jpgMIGNETAIR.jpgJimBruton.jpg

Back